Need help on growing plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shrimp love to graze on bio-film which comes with a mature tank..do you not want to supplement there diet or do you plan on algae being the main food source? Most shrimp will appreciate an algae waffer..

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

Depending on.where you live? Temp? Take. Rock and put it in a sealed jar full of tank water, leave it in the sun for a week.. presto algae!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Depending on.where you live? Temp? Take. Rock and put it in a sealed jar full of tank water, leave it in the sun for a week.. presto algae!

That sounds like a plan to me! Effortless too.

Sent from my iPhone using my fat fingers covered in chocolate...

If you find the sunshine isn't quite enough to grow algae in a jar, there's one other way.

I leave a gallon sizes jar under spiral 6500 K lights, up to 24 hours a day. I put rocks in the jar, or ceramic filter media, and I also put some Flourish ferts in the jar. Grows lots of nice algae.. I drop the rocks in the tank, remove them when they've been cleaned off and put them back in the jar.

If you find the sunshine isn't quite enough to grow algae in a jar, there's one other way.

I leave a gallon sizes jar under spiral 6500 K lights, up to 24 hours a day. I put rocks in the jar, or ceramic filter media, and I also put some Flourish ferts in the jar. Grows lots of nice algae.. I drop the rocks in the tank, remove them when they've been cleaned off and put them back in the jar.

That would certainly work as well me thinks... heck. I leave the lights on for 6 hours and inject co2 and I'm still getting algae!!!

Hi thanks for the help I think I'm finally getting some algae but I only see it on the glass...is that a sign that it's growing on plants and then substrate?

Also if I put in a rockish slate will there be algae growth on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You want a heavier grade substrate for your roots, sand suffers from compaction and is less than ideal for planting.
(smaller grade gravel is ideal 3-5mm)

Root tabs work, I used them on swords in my big tank push one in near the rhizome and continue as necessary, they grew big. Some plants don't need to be root fed and a waterborne fert can be used instead, many cryptocoryne species are good in that respect, needing little in the way of special care.

The light tubes are measured in 1/8ths of an inch diameter and length.
T5=5/8"
T8=1"
T12=1 1/2"

Edit, yes slate grows algae, you can grow algae on pretty much anything, for plants slower growing species like Anubias tend to suffer more than plants with a faster growth pattern.

If algae grows on the glass, it will grow on any other surface too. rock, leaves, etc. Take care with the lighting.. it can catch up to you fast.
I've been running lights 13 hours lately, to keep Otos fed. Yesterday I found hair algae growing in a box I have full of giant pellia, which I have floating to keep the pellia from blowing all over the tank., while I decide what to do with it. So the pellia's been blasted with way too much light and now i have to pull algae out of it. PITA. But my own doing.. sigh..

If algae grows on the glass, it will grow on any other surface too. rock, leaves, etc. Take care with the lighting.. it can catch up to you fast.
I've been running lights 13 hours lately, to keep Otos fed. Yesterday I found hair algae growing in a box I have full of giant pellia, which I have floating to keep the pellia from blowing all over the tank., while I decide what to do with it. So the pellia's been blasted with way too much light and now i have to pull algae out of it. PITA. But my own doing.. sigh..

Sure need to put some slate rock in there where the algae can grow on so the shrimps can feed of that. I will do i have started to lower the hours my light is on as i see build of algae

Thanks for the help :)

I'm planning on get some moss for my shrimps and in general for my tank but I don't know which one to get and which one is better
Java moss
Or
Moss ball?

Any suggestions

Marimo moss ball=Japanese algae ball. If that is the one you where talking about.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have both in my shrimp tank. I find the shrimp spend some time on the moss but pretty much ignore the moss ball. The baby MTS love both. The shrimp like to hang out on the upper leaves of some crypts probably because of the algae growth and biofilm.

Marimo moss ball=Japanese algae ball. If that is the one you where talking about.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah that was the one and there is normal java moss as well

I have both in my shrimp tank. I find the shrimp spend some time on the moss but pretty much ignore the moss ball. The baby MTS love both. The shrimp like to hang out on the upper leaves of some crypts probably because of the algae growth and biofilm.

Oh ok so which one do you think the shrimps would prefer? im planning on getting cherry shrimps just dont know whether to get moss ball or java moss as i know they like moss and eat of it.

Also which one grows faster java moss or the moss ball?

They will dine on what grows on and within the moss ball/moss. Generally both are slow growing depending on the lighting. However, moss will spread faster and is more versatile for attaching to rocks, DW, and for making a carpet.

My shrimp spend their time on all kinds of moss. Moss balls maybe a bit less than other kinds. If you get a moss ball, give it a squeeze out in clean water now and then, as it will get full of dirty water and detritus inside. My scuds like the moss balls and wriggle into them to eat the detritus inside. It may float for awhile after this, but will sink again. Or squeeze it under water to remove the trapped air that causes it to float.

If you have space and can afford them, get both kinds. If not, get Java, or Christmas or Flame. All three of these mosses work well, and are about the same in terms of growing them. Flame or Christmas are more attractive than Java is.

Even Phoenix moss [ fissidens fontanus] works but is so slow to grow, you won't get any great size of it without a lot of time. Don't get willow moss, it's pretty hard to grow.

Mini pellia, which is a miniature liverwort, can also work, if you find some. But it really has to be contained until it has grown a fair bit. Netting works best to hold it snugly to a rock until it begins to take hold. It'll grow, both to hold onto the rock and through the netting, which will eventually be covered so the net can't be seen.

You can do the same with mosses, to attach them to wood or rocks. Thread or fish line will work also to tie lengths of java and other mosses to their mounts. One cheap source of soft netting would be dollar store bath puff. They're most often made of two lengths of simple, soft plastic mesh. Just cut the cord that ties the bundle together. You can cut the mesh to any size needed.

I've started giving my shrimp small Vacation style fish feeder blocks too. I used to give them just to the snails, but I've noticed shrimp picking at them whenever the blocks were there. Now I give them to shrimp all the time and they pick at them constantly. The blocks I used are 'nano' sized, with spirulina and fish food in them. You could make them yourself if you're into that kind of thing.

The blocks are made of Plaster of Paris, which is pure calcium sulfate, beneficial to shrimp and snails alike. Just mix it up as directed, adding some fish flake, pellets or alage powder, then mould it. I have some mini ice cube trays that do great for moulds. Let the mix set up and then turn out of the mould to cure fully. They won't cloud the water,, just replace when they're gone. I've been surprised how quickly they disappear.

They will dine on what grows on and within the moss ball/moss. Generally both are slow growing depending on the lighting. However, moss will spread faster and is more versatile for attaching to rocks, DW, and for making a carpet.

I heard that Java moss grows quicker than moss balls...if I buy a moss ball how long will it take to get bigger?
Does the moss ball spread as well?

My shrimp spend their time on all kinds of moss. Moss balls maybe a bit less than other kinds. If you get a moss ball, give it a squeeze out in clean water now and then, as it will get full of dirty water and detritus inside. My scuds like the moss balls and wriggle into them to eat the detritus inside. It may float for awhile after this, but will sink again. Or squeeze it under water to remove the trapped air that causes it to float.

If you have space and can afford them, get both kinds. If not, get Java, or Christmas or Flame. All three of these mosses work well, and are about the same in terms of growing them. Flame or Christmas are more attractive than Java is.

Even Phoenix moss [ fissidens fontanus] works but is so slow to grow, you won't get any great size of it without a lot of time. Don't get willow moss, it's pretty hard to grow.

Mini pellia, which is a miniature liverwort, can also work, if you find some. But it really has to be contained until it has grown a fair bit. Netting works best to hold it snugly to a rock until it begins to take hold. It'll grow, both to hold onto the rock and through the netting, which will eventually be covered so the net can't be seen.

You can do the same with mosses, to attach them to wood or rocks. Thread or fish line will work also to tie lengths of java and other mosses to their mounts. One cheap source of soft netting would be dollar store bath puff. They're most often made of two lengths of simple, soft plastic mesh. Just cut the cord that ties the bundle together. You can cut the mesh to any size needed.

I've started giving my shrimp small Vacation style fish feeder blocks too. I used to give them just to the snails, but I've noticed shrimp picking at them whenever the blocks were there. Now I give them to shrimp all the time and they pick at them constantly. The blocks I used are 'nano' sized, with spirulina and fish food in them. You could make them yourself if you're into that kind of thing.

The blocks are made of Plaster of Paris, which is pure calcium sulfate, beneficial to shrimp and snails alike. Just mix it up as directed, adding some fish flake, pellets or alage powder, then mould it. I have some mini ice cube trays that do great for moulds. Let the mix set up and then turn out of the mould to cure fully. They won't cloud the water,, just replace when they're gone. I've been surprised how quickly they disappear.

Yeah I have a 20 litre tank and I'm planning on get some moss for my shrimps. I want to know which one is the best to get for them. I was wondering how long it takes for a moss ball to grow?
I want to get some java moss as I heard that it grows quickly and spread but I'm not sure just need some advice.

Slowly is the answer for all the mosses and the moss balls are even slower. One reason they tend to be a bit more expensive. None of the mosses grow quickly, nothing like a stem plant.

Moss balls grow slow&are known to be nitrate hogs...They also do not spread&will need to be turned from time to time... http://i.imgur.com/fMuZ5rU.jpg
Both pelia&java moss in this shrimp tank...

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

Hmm ok I want a plant that grows a bit fast so the shrimps will feed on it
And what do you mean they are notate hogs?
Why do they have to be turned?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom