Need help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blert

Aquarium Advice Addict
Two nights ago I changed my substrate from clown puke gravel to a mix of Fluval Stratum and sand. I removed the fish to accomplish this. My GBRs went into a ten gallon with a heater, filter and some decor and rocks. Got the tank completed and reaclimated the fish. The next morning, one of my GBRs has swollen lips. Tonight I notice he has developed a bump on the top of his head. Please see the attached pics and help me if you can.

Ammonia was a little high today because of the substrate change, was at .25. Nitrites at 0. Nitrates at 20. Did a 50% WC with prime to keep the ammonia in check.

Attachments

• image-397463076.jpg
    image-397463076.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 90
  • image-3335190845.jpg
    image-3335190845.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 88
  • image-719978641.jpg
    image-719978641.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 90
  • image-1455336240.jpg
    image-1455336240.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 79
This morning the bump on his head is bigger and no improvement in his lips.

Did you check your water parameters again this morning? You may need to do another pwc. It almost sounds like he's having a reaction to the new substrate- im not familiar with what you used & i really dont know if its even possible. Make sure you you keep the ammonia/nitrites at zero & hopefully someone else might have an idea what is going on!

Did not check parameters this morning as I'm off to Orlando for my son's dentist appt. Plan on doing that as soon as I get home a few hours from now.

Ok...
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrites 0.0
Nitrates 20
PH 6.4

Seems I nuked a lot of my BB with the substrate change. No food tonight but I will be adding some more plants.

Going to do a PWC tonight but it won't help much as the ammonia out of my tap is that high. Mostly just want to introduce another dose of Prime and set my ten gallon up as QT for him. He's hiding today and won't come out so maybe some alone time in QT will help. Should I dose with anti-biotics?

Yes, you lost alot of bb with the substrate change! You have a mini-cycle going on that hopefully wont last too long. If you put him in qt, just make sure you check his water daily to keep amm/nitrites/nitrates in check. The prime will def help across the board especially if you have high amm out of your tap. I wouldnt dose with antibiotics yet-we really dont know whats going on with him. Some healthy water & aquarium salt may be all he needs. If its an allergic reaction to your new substrate, it should clear up on its own when he is not exposed to it anymore. Your best bet is to keep an eye on him for now & if he doesnt improve/gets worse then meds may be needed. Good luck & keep us posted!

Ok, will do. I just left the pet store (needed root tabs) and couldn't figure which med to get. Got you reply just in time. Gonna get the kids to bed and set up the QT.

QT tank set up with a 50/50 mix of tank water and temp matched fresh water. Add one tsp of aquarium salt, may add more later but I don't want to shock him. Added his old tree stump decor and some fake plants from his tank. He's alive but not doing well. Upside-down sometimes and darting around violently others times. Will keep an eye on him and will test his water in the morn. I may test tonight if I'm up late and do a PWC if needed.

Ok-thanks for update! I hope he pulls through!!! I would check his water now if you get chance & ill keep my fingers crossed for you!!

Was getting ready to test the water in the QT tank and found Babbles is no longer with us. :( My son is very sad, was one of his favorites. The boy has been through more than most folks go through in there whole life (he has leukemia) so he handles loss very well. To late to break down the tank now so will deal with it in the morn. Luckily, none of the other fish are exhibiting any issues but I am keeping an eye on them and the tank for the next week anyway. Thanks for your help.

On an inspection of the other fish I noticed one of my bloodfin tetras being rather elusive. When I finally located him I found he has similar symptoms. Kinda poofy mouth area (they are small so it's kind of hard to tell) but he also has three bumps on him that we're not there before. Moved him to the still set up QT tank and will hope for the best. Parameters in the QT tank are as good as I can get them on my tap water. If he's still with us in the morning I'll run out for some RO water and slowly mix it in until the water is perfect.

Main tank is experiencing a big drop in PH. Tested this morning and it was at 6.0 or below. What's the low point of PH for the BB to survive? Did a 20% water change and have at least two more 20%s planned for today to bring PH back up slowly so as to not shock the fish. Everyone in this tank currently looks heathy and active. Ammonia is still high (0.5) but nitrites are zero and nitrates are around 20.

The tetra in QT right now looks to be doing about the same. Still has the bumps on his body and mouth still looks a bit inflamed. Did a 20% water change on this tank also and will do more 20%s at the same time I do the main tank. Do you think I should raise the temp in QT? It's at 79-80f right now.

This substrate change sounds like its turning into a nightmare! I do know bb can slow down and/or die at low phs but im not sure if theres a 'magic' cut off number but i believe its around 6.5. Im not familiar with the new substrate you used & do not know if it can cause big swings in ph. Hopefully someone can help out here thats familiar with it! Because you seem to have a mini-cycle going on here that also can cause a swing in ph. Water changes are going to be your best friend until things settle down. Maybe you could consider adding some crushed coral to your filter to try & stabilize your ph in a safer range. Your qt temp looks ok as long as its around what you normally keep your main tank at. Maybe you could get a pic of your fish's bumps & mouth?

FYI, as i know nothing about Fluval Stratum, i did a little research & what the general consensus was that it creates a 'mildly acidic environment' so i guess beyond the mini-cycle, your new substrate is having some affect on lowering your ph. What the ph of your tap water?

Yup, the Stratum is supposed to help keep a stable slightly acidic PH. From my tap it's about 8.0

Yes, a nightmare indeed. So, crushed coral will help raise the PH or just keep it stable once I get it raised to a better level?

Crushed coral should mildly increase/stabilize the ph but the chemistry balance between your new substrate, your tap, & whats going on in your tank is a bit beyond what i know! Its going to be a big balancing act with the minicycle thrown in to further complicate everything! I have to suspect the ph in your fishes health as well in addition to the minicycle. So, without a degree in chemistry, i am at a loss here! I still believe water changes are going to be your best friend for now (and they should help raise the ph without having to do anything else) and i am hoping someone can offer some suggestions to further help you!

Here's a pic of the tetra. Hard to get a good pic of him. You can see two big discolored (brownish) bumps. They go straight through and are actually more pronounced on his other side but I can't get him to face the other direction. Looks a lot like something is growing inside his body.

Attachments

• image-949256516.jpg
    image-949256516.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 55
If it looks like something is 'growing' inside him, i have to suspect some type of parasite but theres also a possibility of a bacterial infection (or both). If you want to try treating him, you could try metronizadole (anti-parasitic & antibiotic) for a course of treatment.

Since my tank is already in a state of freakishness do you think i should go ahead and treat it or just the QT?

Just spoke to my LFS. Can't get that stuff in Florida except from a vet. Florida passed a law last year banning antibiotics for fish and reptiles. Only herbal remedies.

Back
Top Bottom