Need help please ;-(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dean jones

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sorry to bother you guys,but I was cleaning my fluval 405 and when it was done I turned on my Aquastop valve ? The canister didn't fill up ? So in manual it says Use the instant-prime handle to fill the canister,which I did ? Still it hasn't filled my canister ;-( my fluval is only 3 months old ? CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP...cheers

Are the intake and outflow below the water line? Is there anything clogged in the tubes? The primer handle can take some work to get it going. You should hear the water filling when you pump it.

Cheers meegosh mate ;-) but did all that,even phoned customer service,they said the same mate ;-( but still nothing.gonna give it a break till morning,then go nuts on its canister *** ;-) can see the water going up the intake but it stops before going over the rim of tank and back into canister mate ;-( lucky I'm only cleaning one of my 405's or I'd be real MAD now mate ;-) so if you have anymore suggestions I'm all ears mate ;-)

With the valve open, pull the spraybar out of the water. Sometimes the water cant push air/water out of the return hose and wont let the water in to the canister. Make sure the hose from the canister isnt plugged or full of water and wont let the air out of the canister. For water to go in, the air has to go out somewhere.

Also, make sure the aquastop valve is all the way down and the flow valve is all the way open. If the aquastop isnt all the way down it wont open the valves.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Cheers spoonman,but fluval 405's don't have a spray bar ? Well in UK they don't mate,and I left about a pint of bacteria in the bottom of my canister filter ? But Hagen are saying there mustn't be any water in canister at all ??? Which I find strange ? Took hoses off ran a snake thought them for blocks ? Still no joy ;-( I'm stumped mate ;-) but cheers for the input....

Hey man had the problem with one of my friends filters was just a fault with the impeller why don't you give a woman named Marcella at Rolf c Hagen a phone just ask to be put through to her hopefully she can sort you out with new part or maybe a new filter :)

Have you had any luck? Mine usually starts back up without any issues. Couple pushes on the primer handle and it fills right up.

No meegosh mate ;-( no joy,Gareth was right ? It was an issue for a lot of other people and fluval 405's...

Dean jones said:
No meegosh mate ;-( no joy,Gareth was right ? It was an issue for a lot of other people and fluval 405's...

So did you talk to Fluval makers? Are thy sending you a part or new filter? Did they help you at all?

They haven't got back too me ;-( not happy,paid £125 for it ? Put another filter I had on my 90 gallon now,with the other 405 I had ;-( what can you do when they don't get back to you.Wont be buying Hagen products again ?

I've got a fluval g6... I had the same problem a while back, I filled the filter with water and put it all back together, it then primed.

Dean jones said:
They haven't got back too me ;-( not happy,paid £125 for it ? Put another filter I had on my 90 gallon now,with the other 405 I had ;-( what can you do when they don't get back to you.Wont be buying Hagen products again ?

That stinks they didn't get back to you!! I have a Fluval 406, haven't had problems (yet?) but would be nice to know that if I do, they'd be helpful. Glad to hear you had a backup filter to use, though.

Back
Top Bottom