Need Help Plz.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcurrie1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon tank with algae problems. I have a green powder that accumulates on all my glass. I have done a 10 gallon water change with R/O water (used tap in the past), completed a filter change about 2 weeks ago and cleaned them yesterday. The algae looks like powder once you clean it from the front glass but will return within 2-3 hours. In addition, my snails seem to be lifeless but are not dead. They cling to the glass but do not move. My PH was off a few days ago, but I have addressed that problem and my PH is now 8.2. Ammonia, nitrate and nitrite are no existent. I have been adding calcium, iodine and strontium & molybdenum. Please help! I am new to this and have over 1500 dollars invested. PLEASE HELP!!!.

Matt

Equipment: 110 Gallon Protein skimmer, 2 emperor 330 biowheel filters, Power compacts and around 20 pounds of live rock.

Use RO/DI water instead of just RO water if u can.

If you have cerith snails, it is normal for them to be lifeless and just stick to the glass in the day (they feed at night).

You say u have been adding calcium, iodine and strontium & molybdenum. Are you testing these levels first?

Also, 55gal is kinda small for a yellow tang (sorry to bring that up :? )

I'd take out the bio-wheels in your emporer because they become a nitrate factory after a while.

Sorry, but back to the point- try getting more snails to make up a better cleanup crew. I'd get like 20 or more.

I HTH

Oh, and how old are the bulbs for your PC lighting? Change those things after 6 months or so...this could contribute to algae.

Power compacts are about 1 month old. I will get some more snails soon. However, is this build up of algea not unusual in a 2-3 hour period? My filters do move water to the front of the glass though.

I get an algae dusting on my glass too and I feel like I'm constantly cleaning it. All part of the package, I'm afraid.

Has your tank only been setup for a month or are the lights newer than the tank?

Your tank would do well with another 30-50# of rock in it for better filtration.

My tank has been running for around 3 months. Only had the lights for about a month. Algea is driving me crazy/.

how long do u have the lights on?
not that i'm a salty but i learnt the "too much light in a day" lesson the hard way..

Back
Top Bottom