Need help stocking 3 foot tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jazzligrace

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I've recently purchased a 3foot by 2foot tank (237 litres ~ 52ish gallons approximately).

I need help stocking. I would like to have rams in there of some kind, so please recommend fish compatible with them.. Also I love Congo tetras. My tank is planted and has a light with a waterfall filter. I'm not new to fish so keep that in mind when recommending.

As my tank is large in height please recommend fish that are too dwellers also. Thanks

My tank was brought second hand and Unfortunetly has a lot of scratches!! How do I go about getting rid of them??

TIA

What kind of tank are you going for? Planted community? South American biotope? You have a lot of options with that kind of tank. If you're just looking for fish that will fill out the various levels of the tank without bothering your tetras or rams, here's some general suggestions...

Ottos are good bottom dwellers that won't interfere with the rams' eggs if you're trying to breed them. Hatchets are good for consistently staying near the top, but any "all over" fish like dwarf rainbows or rasboras are good options too. Not sure how nippy the congo tetras are, but Threadfin Rainbows are my personal favorites for dither fish for helping the rams feel safe while not being a threat to their eggs.

Are the scratches visible when it's filled with water ? If so, short of using the right polishing compounds and either a polisher or a lot of elbow grease, there isn't any way to get rid of them.

I"m fond of cories or kuhli loaches as bottom dwellers.. if you have enough of them they will come out and be seen.

Top dwellers.. hatchet fish are interesting but tend to be jumpers.

Ottos are not bottom dwellers, they suck on the tank's glass. They will really go all over a tank.

Anyway, a south american biotope would be cool; something like this:

15 rummynose tetras
8 bloodfin tetras
6 bleeding heart tetras
10 corydoras pygmaeus
1 pair of apistos
1 pair of rams
1 bristlenose pleco OR 4 ottos.

Back
Top Bottom