Need help, which piece of DW should I use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jnam

Aquarium Advice FINatic
just got the DW in the mail. Now i dont know what to do. Both peices are awesome... but i dont know i can use both... Give me some ideas on placement. I just dont want to start moving all the plants around trying to figure out the hardscape. But if i have to thats not to big of a deal.

i have yet to soak the new wood so time is on my side i guess.

the first image and the third image are the same piece same side just one of the directions i was thinking of going. the second is flat on the bottom looks like an axe....

the fourth is the tank. both pieces are tall enough to go from substrate to just below water level lets say 21" +/-

I dont know if i want the scap to slope form left to right or if i want to make a U shape with both pieces a slightly off center U...

Please suggestions.
Plants are mostly jungle vals. Immature. and crypts. with 5 swords and a couple bacopa stems

Attachments

• HPIM1128.jpg
    HPIM1128.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 61
  • HPIM1127.jpg
    HPIM1127.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 55
  • HPIM1130.jpg
    HPIM1130.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 58
  • HPIM1110.jpg
    HPIM1110.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 78
yes and no.

I want to use both pieces but how should i orient them i need a little asthetics help... LOL

i like how its standing up in the 3rd pic. i think the 2nd one would also look good standing up but you can also have it on its side.

I would use both together slighty off center. Move then around to they give you an interesting shape. Accent with some rock work and it should look nice. If you decide to put both singly consider a third piece, a pair will look artificial. Try not to place dead center or equidistant on both sides.

yeah in the off center of the tank using the golden rule i built a slate cave. The problem is I didnt achieve the highth i wanted. I would have rather purchased like a 40 gallon breeder cause they arent quite as tall as the 55s but thats what my wife got me. So that is what I am trying to deal with is the Heighth issue.

I really like the third one too standing up like that it kinda looks like a root stump the other piece when put on its base looks pretty cool too.

Thanks.

i dont know if i like it yet... I put the piece in to simulate tree roots and its very large compared to the rest of the scape... I am going to see if the vals grow tall enought to give the rest of the hieght I wanted I dont think I will be using the second piece though. Pics of it tonight.

DW Pics

Here are the pics I think i need the second piece we will see. The first pic is the before pic. i had to redo the cave to accomodate the DW. I boiled it and no Tannins which was cool and it sunk right away each piece is about 8 lbs. And hard as a rock...

And the DW had a large recess in it that i filled with gravel and some Glosso and some java moss. Hopefully ill get a cool waterfall effect from it. you can see it kinda towards the top of the DW

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 48
  • dw1.jpg
    dw1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 38
  • dw2.jpg
    dw2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 55
What if you placed the other piece on its side in behind your rock structure? It would make the rock easier to see and it would mean you'd have that leftish area of the tank as your focal point. Then, you could still do something on the other side of the tank, possibly focusing as you have already started doing on creating depth through plant height.

the second piece is HUGE my 55 is only about 18 inches deep and the cave takes up 14+ of it. but not a bad idea with a smaller piece. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom