Need Help with filtration and air circulation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Misfits72

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon tank i have an aqueon power 55. Also a Marineland Emperor 400. I have Goldfish and i know they are dirty little things. Could Canister filters and More air circulation keep the water clear. Any hints? 2 Orandas, 2 Ryukins, 1 Black Moor and 1 calico Fantail. I am in the Mists of setting up my Second Tank and want to start it right from the beginning.

J.

Attachments

• 33221-albums1252-picture8668.jpg
    33221-albums1252-picture8668.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 91
Welcome to AA!

The Aqueon 55 supports 325 GPH (Gallons per hour), and the emperor 400 gives 400 GPH giving you a total of 725 Gph. Since you have goldies (They are more messier than other fish) you could add another source of filtration.

That is your choice if you want to add a canister and keep the HOBs on or off, or Getting another HOB filter to add the GPH up.

If you do decide to replace the HOB filters with a single canister filter, Make sure to keep the HOB filters on with the canister until it can collect enough beneficial bacteria so that the HOB filters can come off. (I recommend the EHIEM classic series)

I love canisters. A 55 is on the border of using them or not, but since it goldfish I would say you are in the canister zone. Their mechanical capacity is superior. Howeve,r you already have HOBs.

If you do HOBs I would do AquaClears, I would do the AC110. I would replace the Aqueon with an AC110. you get a lot of flow, a lot of media, for a fraction of the cost of a canister.

Marineland also makes some very good canister filters. I run a magnum 350 on my 55 with Africans and it stays crystal clear. The Magnum is a good economical filter, that you can get with bio-wheel or without.

Thank you so much for all this tips and ideas. I just want to make sure i start it right from the beginning on the second tank. Goldies are a mess but so beautiful to look at. With all AA members I am in the right place to succeed.

Back
Top Bottom