Need help with high pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bret

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have restarted my 20gal aquarium after learning a year ago the hard way that I didn't know enough about keeping fish alive in an aquarium. I now have it stocked with seven red minor tetras, one otocinclus catfish and one snail. I've been testing all of my water parameters and everything looks good except the pH. I'm using the API test kits. The pH is reading all the way up at 7.6 (the lowest reading). I've performed a few partial (5gal) water changes with deionized filtered water (we have a filtration setup at work where the aquarium is). When I get the deionized water, the pH tests at 6.0 (the lowest reading). I've been using Seachem's Acid Buffer (2.69g) and Alkaline Buffer (3.50g) on the 5gals of water which results in a pH of 6.6. From what I've read, this seems pretty ideal for the Tetras. I leave the replacement water for a day to make sure the pH stays the same and it always reads 6.6. After I perform the water change, the pH general goes down to 7.0. However, within a couple of days, the pH is right back up at 7.6. My dKH is 2 or 3 which actually seems kind of low. From what I understand, a low dKH should allow for a low pH, but it isn't working out that way. My GH is running about 90ppm. How is it that my pH keeps going up? Any ideas how I can get my pH down? Is there something that I'm missing?

Hi Bret,
I can't speak to water chemistry, don't know enough to give you an educated answer
I can tell you IMO that stable ph is usually more important than ideal ph. I keep all of my tanks filled from my tap with a standing ph of 8. That includes Tanganyikan cichlids, which is great, but also characins, south and Central American cichlids, catfish, loaches, etc. unless they're super sensitive fish you should be okay without attempting to alter ph.
If it is important to you, peat moss and driftwood can help lower ph naturally. I'm not well versed in bottled or treated or RO water so I just don't go there haha. I hope someone has a better answer than me!

What substrate do you have? Some lend to a higher pH.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

There is a relationship between KH and pH, but a low KH also means that the pH is less stable and more likely to make the swings you're seeing.
To me, a pH of 7.6 is pretty good, but if you want to try to lower it (and keep it lower) I won't fault you. Just keep in mind that the pH going back and forth between 6.6 and 7.6 is probably more harmful than just keeping it at a steady 7.6.

Let's begin at the beginning... what's the pH and KH of the water from the tap (before the RODI). Check it straight from the tap and again after letting it sit out over night so we can see if making any changes on its own.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

More harm is gonna come from trying to get the perfect ph than just leaving it where it is. I would tecommend skipping the di water and buffers and just go with plain tap. The fish will be fine.

More harm is gonna come from trying to get the perfect ph than just leaving it where it is. I would tecommend skipping the di water and buffers and just go with plain tap. The fish will be fine.
+1 7.6 is acceptable for most fish

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

+1 Definitely agree. My tap water is 7.5, haven't had a issues with any of my fish or shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom