Need Help with my sump design - PIC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hersh_007

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 72 gal Bow Front that i'm making into a reef tank. The sump im designing is made from a 20 gal Long and i'm just looking for feedback/advice and a couple recommendations:

My 72 Gal (plus the sump) needs what kind of pump(mag 7?) at a 4' head for the return to have decent flow. I will have 2 Maxi 1200's in the main tank as well.
Whats a quality 300W sumbersible heater?

Thanks everyone!

Mag 9. What do you define as decent flow. I myself would want at a minimum 700GPH flow thru the pump if it was going to be your main source of circulation. Of course there is nothing wrong with 15X or even more flow in your tank.

Whats the purpose of the 2" baffle area between the skimmer and the refuge? Is thta supposed to be a bubble trap?

The water level in your fuge would be as tall as the dividers unless you had holes drilled in to the left fuge devider but then you would have a water fall from the baffles area into the fuge.

My main source with be the Mag return, but there will be 2 maxi 1200's in the rear corners of the tank as well. Still go with a Mag 9?

I added a second set of bubble traps AFTER the refuge, is it ok to have all the baffles the same height?

Seems its always me and you fishfreek lol.

Whats a quality 300W sumbersible heater?
Won Pro Heat Heaters are very nice.. I would get 2x300w pro heat heaters just in case one goes bad..

What I would take into consideration from the Ev180 is also the height.. It cannot be submerged in deaper than 8" of water so keep that in mind when your building your baffles..

A mag 9 would be the smallest return pump that I would go with for sure..

HTH<
James

Back
Top Bottom