Need help with new tank plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JryanM

Aquarium Advice Regular
Think I'm in the right thread it's hard to tell on my phone.
But anyway, I am looking to build a heavily planted tank. My plan is a tank between 5 and 10 gallons that will be home to RCS and Pygmy Sunfish.
I was looking at buying the 6 Gallon bookshelf tank from petco. Its dimensions are 24x 8.2x 9.3inches.
It is an acrylic tank also.
My questions would be:
1- is this tank adequate for RCS and maybe 6 Pygmy sunfish?
2- would I be better off with a glass tank over acrylic?
3- would I be better off buying a tank and getting LED lights?
4- java moss and what else would be good low light plants?
Thanks!
Oh and feel free to tell me any ideas you have that would involve a RCS/ Pygmy Sunfish tank!

1. I would get a 10 gallon for 6 pygmy sunfish and RCS if this is an option. More living room for the fish is always better.
2. I think most people prefer glass over acrylic. There are pros and cons to each.
3. As opposed to what? Marineland makes a decent kit with an LED hood.
4. Anubias, I have 2 of these still doing great and I consider myself terrible at keeping plants.

The RCS/pygmy sunfish tank sounds like a fun idea. I look forward to seeing some pictures.

I think I may go with a 10 gallon.
I have seen the LED hood I believe and may try it out. I have just heard that LED are better for plants also the energy efficiency Is a plus!
I plan on heavily planting this tank as I have read that Pygmy sunfish can be very shy and the RCS also love plants.

Thanks! It will probly be another month before I really get started but I'll be sure to post pictures of the progress. I'm pretty excited about this project!

Back
Top Bottom