need help with sick betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have never owned a fish before so I have no idea what to do. I got this guy from a family member who was wasn't taking care of him. He was kept in a small bowl/ wasn't fed consistently. So, I just took him about a week and a half ago.

When I took the fish he was already sick with three white spots on his body. One large one on his head which looked flat/soft and two small, which almost look like salt, right by his eye and mouth. (going to try to attach pic) The small ones look hard and raised.

So I buy what i can afford for little guy. A one gallon tank with filter and a heater which is to big for the tank (left on it gets up to 86/88). The temp of the tank without the heater runs about 75/77. Also I forgot to add that he is refusing to eat his normal diet of pellets (I have since bought bloodworms,which he will eat, one a day) and he was just laying on the bottom of the tank on his side,only coming up for air.One pet store tells me to use betta fix the other says it's definitely ich so use ick cure. So i use the ich meds/turn off filter/water change etc. But he really doesnt seem any better. The spots aren't shrinking and now he has positioned himself on a silk plant at the top of the tank with his mouth touching the surface, taking in air.

I was hoping that someone could help me figure out what this might be and what plan of action i should take. I really want the little dude to make it! Thanks in advance for anyone willing to offer their opinion. It is much appreciated as I have no idea what I am doing!

ForumRunner_20130208_205229.jpg

Holy cow. Ok. Well, the head doesn't look to me like Ich. More like a lesion of some sort. I'll look into it more to find out what it is.

Whatever is on his belly should not be there. I'll look into that too and see if that's fixable.

His fins are clamped but don't exactly look in the best of shape. I would guess from unclean water from the last owners. Keep his water clean and it should help both his stress and his fins at least. I'll look into the other issues in the meantime.

I look foward to hearing about what you come up with. Thank you!

Heya your poor guy doesn't look to good poor things. Good on you for giving him a better home.
I'd definitely keep up plenty of water changes using a conditioner e.g prime and please don't use betta fix there is lots of evidence to show that it's really bad for their labyrinth organ.
I've had a few ups as down with my betta so know how you feel!

Hi I'm no expert but my guess would be body fungus its caused by poor water and things such as left over food causing bad bacteria go to your local store and you can get something specifically for fungus or get an all round antibacterial treatment

Hi I'm no expert but my guess would be body fungus its caused by poor water and things such as left over food causing bad bacteria go to your local store and you can get something specifically for fungus or get an all round antibacterial treatment

+1 on the fungus that's what it looks like to me plenty of pwc will help him out. Not sure on what med you can use on him but hopefully someone who does know will chime in. Well done for giving him a good home. :)

Marcynoxy might work. Aquarium salts and raising the temperature of the water, doing almost complete water changes at least once a day is another idea.

Back
Top Bottom