need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xsmoker_3

Aquarium Advice Activist
i need ideas on what filtration i should have on my 75 gal saltwater tank with coral was thinking about a fluval 405 any recomendations on a budget and an ro/di unit i was looking at on ebay was a portable unit for 60$ ARE THEY ANY GOOD OR SHOULD I JUST SPEND THE 100$ ON A SIX STAGE UNIT AND FINALY I WANNA REFUGIUM AND AM NOT SURE HOW TO SET UP THE WATER FLOW IN AND OUT.

For filtration you need to spend your money on live rocks. They will do MUCH more than a canister filter can ever do. And I am talking by orders of magnitude here.

The Fluval will be great for running carbon and GFO as well as polishing pads to catch dirt in the water. I use a Fluval 305 on my 20g to help trap junk. Just keep in mind that canister filters turn into nitrate factories after about a week of trapping junk. ;-) Clean it out each week and you will be shocked at what is in there!

Go with the 6 stage RO/DI. Your main filters will last longer with all the prefilters that make it a 6 stage. The unit is really just an RO membrane and DI resin. The rest prolong these main filters. Dont skimp on the RO/DI unit as its your FIRST line of defense against problems!

A fuge is a great idea for growing chaeto or whatnot in. I modified an acrylic fish breeder. It sits inside the tank at the top near the main lights and the output from my Fluval blows right into the mass of chaeto. The chaeto is growing wild! For a 75g you will likely want something more substantial and I am sure you will be advised to build a sump instead of an in tank refugium.

Good luck!
Matt

I personally would go with LR and a skimmer. The proper amount of LR and PH`s to push the water around is good biological filtration added with a good skimmer will do the job. If you have a sump than a refuge added would be excellent.

then i will work on a sump my water is good and i have about 50 lb or so of rock

Looks like you got a thing for Damsels, eh? :)

Looks nice. The fish all look happy as they swim about as well. No fist fights at all...

Matt

i only have two and i know clowns are related but i just switched from a 55 gal so i couldnt get any big fish and the damsels lived from cycle i thought they would die during....lol

I am a fisherman and a hunter so really I could care less about being humain but thanks
Ps. Sometimes I even step on ants

Back
Top Bottom