Need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adam.calhoun123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I'm brand new to this whole world of aquariums. I recently obtained a 10 gallon freshwater tank from my uncle.

If anyone can please help me with find all of the required materials needed to start and maintain a tank. I have a light, gravel, heater, and a small decoration along with seaweed.

Any help on how I should start and maintain the tank is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You should get a filter to start with, what kind of fishes do you want in the tank ?

^^IMO I filter is not required but unless you want to do daily water changes to remove waste I'd highly suggest getting one :)

Have you heard of the nitrogen cycle? Head over to the getting started section of the forum for 2 complete articles on fish in and fishless cycling a tank. Basically when your fish poop it breaks down into ammonia and is toxic to fish. During a cycle, you build up a special type of bacteria that consume this ammonia and turn it into a nontoxic form called nitrate which is then removed through water changes. Cycling a tank takes patience but is one of the best things you can ever do for your tank.

Caleb

Also keep in mind you must be patient with the cycling process. I started a tank on june 27 and it is just now in the final stages of finishing the cycle. also you may want a test kit to keep up with how things are going

Also keep in mind you must be patient with the cycling process. I started a tank on june 27 and it is just now in the final stages of finishing the cycle. also you may want a test kit to keep up with how things are going

change that to "you need a test kit!" A liquid one! If you want to know what's happening in the tank. Can't know anything about your cycle without a test kit unless you want to make a bunch of trips to the store for testing, in which case it would pay for itself :)

Caleb

Thanks and appreciate all the help! I am not quite sure about fish to hold I know the only fish I want at the moment are a couple of Cory catfish then from there build upon fish that get along.

Thanks and appreciate all the help! I am not quite sure about fish to hold I know the only fish I want at the moment are a couple of Cory catfish then from there build upon fish that get along.

You want to look at Pygmy Corydora since this is a 10g. Most other species get too large or active for this size tank and the schooling requirement of 5+

Caleb

Check out this article first: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Afterwards let us know if you have any other specific questions. Good luck! (y)

Hey guys I'm brand new to this whole world of aquariums. I recently obtained a 10 gallon freshwater tank from my uncle.

If anyone can please help me with find all of the required materials needed to start and maintain a tank. I have a light, gravel, heater, and a small decoration along with seaweed.

Any help on how I should start and maintain the tank is greatly appreciated!

What i would do with the tank is
6x pygmy corys
8x neon tetras or rasboras
1x dwarf gourami as a center piece

What i would do with the tank is
6x pygmy corys
8x neon tetras or rasboras
1x dwarf gourami as a center piece

Would a beta be better than a gourami just a thought with it being a smallish tank?

Oh yeah welcome it may seem a bit of a long wait to cycle your tank but patience is key and once you have it set up I bet it ain't long till you get something bigger haha

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes a betta will work also :)
Aren't Bettas aggressive fish?

And I've read a lot of different things in the nitrogen cycle yet they all vary in ways. Does anyone have an article that is stupid simple that a beginner would understand without to much complication they could link me to?

Aren't Bettas aggressive fish?

And I've read a lot of different things in the nitrogen cycle yet they all vary in ways. Does anyone have an article that is stupid simple that a beginner would understand without to much complication they could link me to?

A betta is a game of chance in the end. All bettas are different. Sometimes it works sometimes not.

The nitrogen cycle can be said really simply let me give it a try. I talk to first time fish owners all the time and have to explain this.

http://i.imgur.com/UgHY8FK.jpg

Refer to this picture for guidance

Let's get this down first. FISH POOP! It's a necessary part of life.

Well in nature this poop has to decompose. It decomposes into what is known as Ammonia or NH3 for short. Ammonia is toxic to fish!

This is where cycling comes in. The goal of cycling is to build up bacteria in your filter that will "remove" or "eat" all the waste and when the bacteria is finished the waste is in a non toxic form(in low levels) that you remove when you change water.

Okay so we have a pile of fish crap rotting into ammonia now what? Well for a fish-in cycle take a guess what out ammonia source to feed the bacteria is? FISH! In a fishless cycle, ammonia is supplemented. This can be done by ammonia from the hardware store(10% grade) or just plain ole fish food though it's messy.

Now, you will need a test kit! Why? So you can test these ammonia levels. You want to shoot for 3ppm in a fishless cycle. This is a great number for bacteria growth. during a fish-in cycle, you have fish so we don't want this number to exceed 1ppm for their safety.

As the bacteria grows, you will start to see nitrite showing on your test kit. Nitrite is the next phase that your fish poo takes. It is more toxic that ammonia so in a fish in cycle you want to keep it under 0.50ppm if possible. During fishless, nitrite will go off the chart and it's okay because you have no fish in the tank.

This is probably the longest part of cycling. Keep dosing your ammonia to 3ppm for fishless. Fish in just keep monitoring and keeping levels safe for fish. One day you will wake up and all the nitrites will be gone! No kidding!

When nitrites have hit 0ppm, ammonia is 0ppm, and you have a nitrate reading(in a fishless this will be very high), then your tank is cycled. do a large water change to get nitrate levels in safe range and you are good to go.

Caleb

Started the cycle and was just wondering, I have a reading of 0.25 ppm ammonia right now just because of the lack of finding ammonia in a store ( found it online at ace and getting tomorrow (8/10) ). Yet my water is extremely cloudy, my gravel has been thoroughly washed 3 times before entering the tank, I have dechlorinator in it, and I have a decoration that's been thou roughly cleaned with cold water. I have a fluval 10-20 gallon filter on.

Any suggestions on what to do about the cloudy water or is it normal?

Started the cycle and was just wondering, I have a reading of 0.25 ppm ammonia right now just because of the lack of finding ammonia in a store ( found it online at ace and getting tomorrow (8/10) ). Yet my water is extremely cloudy, my gravel has been thoroughly washed 3 times before entering the tank, I have dechlorinator in it, and I have a decoration that's been thou roughly cleaned with cold water. I have a fluval 10-20 gallon filter on.

Any suggestions on what to do about the cloudy water or is it normal?

It's normal. I've had a few tanks just get "cloudy" during cycling. Usually it's a bacterial/diatom bloom and will pass by the time cycling is completed.

Caleb

It's normal. I've had a few tanks just get "cloudy" during cycling. Usually it's a bacterial/diatom bloom and will pass by the time cycling is completed.

Caleb

The water is almost a milky. Also does anyone know where to find ammonia that's cheaper than 35$ that I found at ACE?

The water is almost a milky. Also does anyone know where to find ammonia that's cheaper than 35$ that I found at ACE?

Yikes $35??? What bottle you looking at? You just want a standard 10% ammonia bottle, should only be a couple dollars max!

Yep milky sounds like a bloom. You can do a water change if you like. But since you are fishless cycling it's not necessary.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom