Need help !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kodie k

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have a 90 gallon tank with Discus and pleckos and some other small fish we do have wood for the pleckos to eat and we feed our discus bloodwors and brine shrimp in the last 2 weeks we have gone from 3 discus bieng black and not eating much and now we have some who have died who didnt look black we asked around in a store in the citys for medication to help they gave us something called (kananycin) hope that is spelt right? The directions given were to do one dose every five days with 25% w/c btw each dose after doing both doses and even taking out about 30% out instead and adding more RO water with conditioner we still have pleckos dying as well not sure what to do we are going tom to get a test kit for water and get our water tested as well any suggestions as we cannot figure out why this is happining our usual water temp is 86 if that helps?? Oh i forgot to say we did buy and add that blue rapid ick cure about a day ago?

Im a little confused. First of all, kanamycin should be dosed every other day. Second of all, its an expensive antibiotic, wasing it dosing for a 90 gallon tank is ridicolous, im sure they look forward towards you coming back and dropping another 15 bucks to buy more of this antibiotic to dump into your tank.
Look, when you put powder antibiotic into a fish tank, it does not work that well. Here is a site where you can find enough antibiotic feed to last you several years, and it cost 6 dollars, in the future, you should consider buying this.
Is it possible, you could take out the heater, filter, lights, and put them into a smaller 10-20ish gallon tub? You would be using much less of that expensive powder antibiotic, and it would be good clean (leave it bare bottom) hospital tank.
Antibiotic Fish Flake Food
Its never a good idea to combine medications unless you are specifically suppose to combine them. So the ick medicine along with the antibiotic is not healthy for the Fish. I hope i helped a little bit, ill check back tonight to see if you have more questions.....

I though plecos were sensitive to most ick treatments? If the plecos aren't showing any signs of ick, and if the discus didn't show any signs of ick, I wouldn't be treating the whole tank for ick because of the harsh medication, especially for plecos. What were the water parameters? Didn't you have a water test kit for the 90 gal already? There's a lot of info missing before any real suggestions can be provided.

Agree with Matt and Echo... Especially in regards to a lack of information. How long has this tank been set up? How long have you had these fish? What all is being housed in this tank? What is the tank setup like (ie. substrate, plants, type of wood, other decorations).

Discus are EXTREMELY sensitive fish that need fresh, clean water constantly. They're typically better off in a species only, bare bottom, well filtered, established tank. Also, I would never suggest housing them with plecos no matter what size the tank, simply because of the bioload plecos add to the water.

Answers to these questions, along with water test parameters and pics of the fish would greatly increase your odds of someone being able to help. :\

Back
Top Bottom