Need Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LouieB

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone know what these yellow and white things on my LR are. The yellow ones have small holes (like mouths) in them and the white ones have what looks like a feather duster in the middle of its opening.

TIA. Lou..

Yellow sponges, the round white thing is a sponge as well. The red thing beside the sponge is a feather duster.

I have many in my tank also. They are harmless filter feeders. On the front of that rock behind the star is a big one. There are bigger ones than that in the tank.

Attachments

• 000_0252_127.jpg
    000_0252_127.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 22
I disagree about the yellow things. I have them in my tank and believe them to be trunicates of some type or another. They do not have the same structure as any sponge I have ever seen.

Scottm said:
They do not have the same structure as any sponge I have ever seen.

And what structure would that be?
Don't let the extended pores fool you. I'll respectfully disagree with you, if you have these in your tank, they are sponges.

Tunicates and sponges are difficult to tell apart from a picture like that. It does look more like a sponge. However, watch and see if it contracts it's siphons. Tunicates can retract theirs, but sponges can't.

mine retract their siphons only when I touch them but they do retract them. Thats why I believe them to be trunicates. Maybe we are dealing with two different animals here. They have exactly the same superficial appearance though.

Back
Top Bottom