Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madstyle1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking for some advice here. I currently have a 30 gallon freshwater and will be switching to saltwater soon. I guess my challenge is should I just do canister filtration system or do a sump with an HOB overflow box.

And will it be necessary to do an apex Neptune controller?

Thanks.

I'm open to feedback and advice here

I've done salt before but wasn't into detail, now that I know more about reefing.

I would just use a HOB filter and have a reasonable amount of live rock in the tank. Canister filters need cleaning weekly or you'll see rising nitrates. HOB filters just need to pull out the filter pad and rinse and replace. Much easier.
A sump will increase your water volume as well as allowing you to hide many of your components like heaters, protein skimmer, refugium...but honestly, I'd skip it on a 30 gallon.
No, a controller isn't necessary on any tank. It may just make things easier.

Ok thanks, I may still get a bigger tank but for now it looks like I'm going with the 30 gallons

So I bought my new tank today with built in overflow. Measurements are 36 x 18 front to back and 25 in height. Would 1 ration pro 30 do the job?

Why can't you drill it? HOB can loose siphon..

SUMP is totally the way to go but just drill it...

Apex is nice if you travel. I'd rather buy Eco Tech Radion and Eco Tech Vortech circulation pumps than an apex and its all and all like the same cost. Obviously they're different functions but I see the pumps and light technology eco tech has to offer to be better than apex...

My new tank has built in oveeflow no need for hob. My question is will one radion pro led be enough for a 36 inch length tank.

Elevated high enough above your tank it will illuminate it all. It will not provide equal lighting across the whole tank so specific care will be needed when placing corals so their flesh is angled towards the LED. You could do two KEssil for price of one Radion though. I do love the Radions and Vortech working together though....

Ok sounds good ill look into the kessil. Im taking my time on this so im not in a rush. Thanks reefer james.

Back
Top Bottom