need some help PLZ!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keeper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
got home tonight and in my 5.5 gal I found the following:

2 guppies very pale in color and resting on the substrate. Once in a while they would spaz out and then back to resting.

1 Oto with a yellow hue to its body.

Water paras

Ammonia - 0 ppm

PH - 7.6

Nitrites - 0ppm

Sorry no Nitrate kit yet

Temp - 79F
Any help would be much appreciated

Im new but you really need a nitrate test, take a sample to your LFS to be tested if you cant afford one right now. When was the last time you did a water change?

Two words - Water change. Although, you do pretty regular changes already. Bring some water to Bob or Andrew at Big Al's in the morning. If they won't test for you, shell out and get a nitrate kit. Has there been major changes in temp. I think 79 is a little high. I'll give ya a call tomorrow night to offer some help. Hope thats not too late.

Did a water change the morning of me finding them like this. I noticed this morning that the top(dorsal I think) fins on two of the fish is kinda white. Could this be ich?

Nitrates - 30ppm

frsh36gal - i'm at work tonight[/quote]

Hi Keeper! Water changes are your best bet until things work themselves out, or a disease agent is found.
I noticed this morning that the top (dorsal I think) fins on two of the fish is kinda white.
Look at the FW ich article in the Articles section and see if what you have looks like the same thing. If the whole fin is turning white, that means bigger troubles (possibly a bacterial or fungal infection). Does the fin look like something is growing on it, or is the fin itself turning white?
Start looking through these and see what you can find:
http://www.aquatronicsonline.com/hobbyist/hobbyist3.htm
http://www.aqualink.com/disease/sdisease.html#ich
http://fish.mongabay.com/diseases.htm
http://www.everythingfishy.com/med_info.html
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/AqBizSubWebIndex/fishdisho.htm
http://www.fishpondinfo.com/health.htm

Thanks for the websites Menagerie. You sure are an early riser :wink:

It is definatley not Ich. The largest guppy is really fading in color...his top and bottom fins are greyish greenish tinge and the top one is very scrunched(almost withered). Normally they are a red and blue. I am going to do a water change right away. I hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

TIA to all of you.

I should also mention that on tuesday my filter died while I was out for a few hours...could this have played a role in what has happened?

The fish definitely sound like something bacterial grabbed them :(
Or something toxic.

Though your filter dying could have started a mini-cycle that is not likely since you have to detectable ammonia readings (and none in nitrIte either in a mere 3 days I doubt a mini cycle could finish up. your nitrates though high for my taste are in the accepted zone for most kits.

With the tight clamping of fins, discoloration and depression it point that way.
But they would need to be either exposed or highly stressed where their own on-board yuks can take advantage. Was there a power outtage? Do you think they lost heat and had a temp swing?

Is your tank open topped?
Have you sprayed for anything (even a liberal endusting) in that room? Or a liberal dusting of caerpet fresh?
Are they near an open window? (in some states like parts of FLA, the city or county starts the annual mosquito spraying down the block)
Haveyou tested the tap water (since you just did a change) to see if any large changes have come?) Has your water company sent you any infocards this past 2 months?
Does you tank product cover chloramines?
ANd read your box..does you NH test contain Nessler's reagent?

I know..a lot of questions... so little time... but an answer to one of these could speed up advice in the right direction.

I'd pick up some Marycin2 form petcomartworld and start treatment for the fin rot and discolorations :(
Good luck

Christmasfish said:
Was there a power outtage? Do you think they lost heat and had a temp swing?

Is your tank open topped?
Have you sprayed for anything (even a liberal endusting) in that room? Or a liberal dusting of caerpet fresh?
Are they near an open window? (in some states like parts of FLA, the city or county starts the annual mosquito spraying down the block)
Haveyou tested the tap water (since you just did a change) to see if any large changes have come?) Has your water company sent you any infocards this past 2 months?
Does you tank product cover chloramines?
ANd read your box..does you NH test contain Nessler's reagent?

There was a small power surge the other night but not a full outage...no major temp changes.

The tank is open topped...egg crate and a light fixture. It is located in the bedroom between 2 windows.

I haven't tested the tap water in the last 2 weeks but there have been no notices that anything has changed from the city.

I use the Big Al's mutil purpose water conditioner. I can't see anything on the bottle regarding chloramines

I don't have the test kit boxes but they are the Aquarium Pharm ones.

I'm on my way to the store to pick p a QT tank with heater and filter along with the meds requested. Thank you Christmasfish

keeper said:
Thanks for the websites Menagerie. You sure are an early riser
Not really, I am on the East coast right now :wink:

If the fins are withering, that is not a good sign. Definitely follow Christmasfish's advice and let us know how things are going.

i've just set up the QT tank. I am going to wait until morning to introduce the fish and then the meds will start. I hope this is an OK way of doing things.

Hey keeper, remember that the new filter will need to be seeded with about half of the media from another filter or you'll start a cycle and probably cause more damage than good.

Back
Top Bottom