Need some help with bloated albino clawed frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco1415

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Within the past month my albino clawed frog has become bloated and I'm worried about the effects this may have on his health. He eats normally and his behaviour is fine he's just bloated. I feed him and the other frog in the tank once every other day and there diet consist of bloodworms, brine shrimp, algae wafers, and once in a while I'll put some rosy reds in there. I try to mix there diet up as I imagine they can't get all the nutrition they need just from one food but I haven't tried them on anything new recently so I don't know why the one is bloated. The aquarium is a 20 gallon long with an Aquaclear 50/20 and has been set up for about 3 years now. I do a regular water change (25%) once every week, substrate consist of gravel which I know I'll get crap for but they've never eaten it, and the stock consist of the 2 frogs, 2 comets that are in from the pond for the winter, and a bushy nose Pleco. Any advice is appreciated, thanks for reading ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451953812.619203.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451953828.273830.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

How long has the bloating been going on? Did it start after the goldfish were moved in from the outdoors? I'm thinking the additional bioload from the goldfish are having a negative affect on water quality. I would increase the water changes from 25% to 50%.
Please checkout this link:
http://www.xenopus.com/disease.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How long has the bloating been going on? Did it start after the goldfish were moved in from the outdoors? I'm thinking the additional bioload from the goldfish are having a negative affect on water quality. I would increase the water changes from 25% to 50%.
Please checkout this link:
http://www.xenopus.com/disease.htm

The bloating has been going on for maybe a bit less than a month now. I don't think it started from the goldfish. The frog with the bloat was bought after the goldfish were moved into the aquarium so I have to assume it was from the pet store as my other frog is fine. My bioload is surprisingly good. I've got 2 filters on there an aquaclear 50 and an aquaclear 20 and the tank is maintained regularly so I don't think water quality is an issue. I checked out the link you sent me, one of the cures for bloat it listed was salt. Do you recommend a type of aquarium salt or are they all the same?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The affected/infected frog may have had it when you purchased it, hard to say. Just keep an eye on the params.
I assume FW aquarium salt (as opposed to marine salt) is indicated. Medicating and treatment is not my forte.
Hopefully other ACF/ADF owners will chime in with more helpful advice.

Back
Top Bottom