Need some major help quick with my aggressive tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djlynch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive had a 100g aggressive tank set up for roughly 5 months now.. my livestock is a v lionfish, panther grouper, picasso trigger, and a porc. puffer.
The last fish added was the puffer, which was added roughly a month ago.

Here's the problem: Ive noticed that over the last week or so my puffer has developed a cloudy eye. Im suspecting it has some sort of bacterial infection. I was just going to let it take its course with no meds, but i did readjust my skimmer and now i have it running full force (an e.t.s.s 800 downdraft bad boy). I also set up a canister filter 2 days ago (cascade 1500) and loaded it with roughly 9 lbs of live rock rubble as well as carbon, nitrate sponge, and phosphate sponge.

The puffer isn't getting any better - in fact, he's looking worse.

Also, another BIG problem - since ive started this tank, ive always fed live fish - I know, i know, its not good to feed them live fish, but the ONLY fish that will even touch anything not swimming is the picasso. Since the puffer has gotten sick, he hasn't been able to eat much at all b/c all the other fish beat him to the live fish (hes slow - the grouper is a hog, and if anything comes within a ft of the lion its his)....

I need some help.

1) what can i do about the eye situation? ive also got a reef tank, and when a tang had popeye in it a few years ago i used maracyn or maracyn 2 (can't remember) and it cleared right up - is it ok to use this med with the livestock i have? If not, what can i do for the eye?

2) how can i get the OTHER fish to accept frozen foods? I usually would just soak in garlic, but obviously w/live food, its not really an option. Will the puffer always be out competed for the food?

3) I know someone will say QT, so i guess i should go ahead and say that Ive NEVER had a fish live that ive put in QT - EVER, and honestly its not even an option at this point.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.

Moving to sick fish forum:

There are bacterial infections that can cause cloudy eyes, but I would like to rule out water quality issues first. Please post your parameters i.e. sg/ph/nh3/no2/no3

Do you have any mobile inverts or is it just fish?

Since you are not even considering QT your options are going to be limited.

If it's ich then your whole tank is at risk.

Back
Top Bottom