need some opinions on my thoughts.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishybuisness

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking about going salt in my 60 gallon cichlid tank.

its not drilled but i was thinking, could i do a canister filter, with two HOB serving as refugeums and a skimmer. would i be good to operate like that? oh and probly some new lights..any thoughts? any suggestions? it's not drilled nor do i have space to have a sump btw.

Well, I personally don't like canister filters. They are great in freshwater, but they build up a TON of nitrates in salt tanks. You can use one, but weekly cleanings are key. You can run a HOB skimmer, but you don't need a refugium. It acts as extra biological filtration.
Just my 2 cents.

It's doable for sure. If it was me and I were setting up a tank like this (all hob) I would say get a good oversized skimmer (reef octopus makes some nice ones) and an aqua clear 110 with a custom media basket from inTank. I would probably also do 20-30% weekly wc's for further nutrient export. Hope this helps :)

It's doable for sure. If it was me and I were setting up a tank like this (all hob) I would say get a good oversized skimmer (reef octopus makes some nice ones) and an aqua clear 110 with a custom media basket from inTank. I would probably also do 20-30% weekly wc's for further nutrient export. Hope this helps :)

That's my exact set up for a 55 gallon reef. I didn't want to mess with an overflow box so I went without a sump. I am doing the weekly water changes and everything is going well. To me a water change is easier then cleaning a canister every week. With more benefits to the tank as well.

I have the means to buy a new tank with a sump and all..but is it worth it if I already have the 60 gallon tank?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Doing a 20-30% water change weekly how much salt are you going threw? How much $ are.you spending.on salt.monthly?

I go through a 5 gal bucket of Red Sea coral pro in about 3-4 months but that's on 5 tanks ~170 gallons total

So what's my best option here for filtration? Should I just sell the tank and go with a drilled one? I don't know how.much coral you need to be called a reef tank but I want to have a few corals at least..another reason I ask about getting a different tank is because my tank measure 13w x 48l x 21h. I'll probly need tip top lighting to keep any coral which I'm sure I can get cheaper buying a whole tank off cl

2 of the taotronics dimmable units would work perfect for that tank and at a little more than $200 you can't beat the price. They would allow you to keep any photosynthetic animal you want
Edit: but if you wanted to go the drilled route a sump is nice to have. Extra water volume is always a plus and hiding all the equipment will give the display tank a much cleaner look

Back
Top Bottom