Need substrate depth help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am rearranging & up sizing my tanks (getting rid of a 55g & 2x30g and adding 2x60/70g & a 100g) so that means more gravel & I am wondering if there is a recommended depth for gravel in a tank? They will have slab rock shelves, driftwood, no live plants but some fabric ones and a *plastic* tree trunk & cave style ornaments. If any live plants are added it will be something I do not need ferts or special lighting for like mosses, guppy grass or hornwort (?). I would like to be able to spread out some of the gravel I have (it was 3" deep in some of the tanks) & I am considering (against the wishes of my inner voices) putting sand in the 100g since it will have a angels & a colony of cories in it. FYI the other tanks will be a 70g with an Oscar, 70g with a Clown Knife, 70g with guppies & smaller tetras, 70g with Mollies and a 70g with Goodeid.

Regarding gravel, my personal preference is 2" deep. If you keep cichlids that dig, or you scape with big, heavy rocks, then a 3" base of gravel. I've never used sand.

Hello ear...

I keep larger tanks and use pea-sized gravel. It's easy to vacuum if needed and can't compact in areas and cause water problems like sand. I pile up the gravel in the back 3 to 4 inches and slope down to 2 inches or so in the front. I put any plants toward the back of the tank. It's easier to see into the tank this way.

Pretty easy.

B

Back
Top Bottom