Need sump/filter advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a couple different options. I just set up my tank today with about 30 pounds of established LR and 40 pounds of new sand. Anyway, I have a fluval 403 canister filter hooked up to it right now. I hear they are nitrate factories? I don't want that obviously so I'm trying to figure out if I want to set up a sump or not. It's a 40g breeder. I have a CPR bak pack skimmer I guess I could run that hung on the sump if I go that route. I also have a large hob tetra filter I was thinking about making into a mini refugium... Is that possible? Just looking for opinions. Thanks!

I made a sump out of a 29 gallon tall and wish it would have been bigger. An 40 gallon would probably make a great one imo. A lot of people are at work right now so I'm sure later you'll get a lot more comments on it patience is the key to everything especially with salt. Haha :) hope this helped.

I would use a 20 long atleast or another 40 breeder. The HOB filter could then be used for different medias cause you could build your fuge right into your sump

A canister filter is fine as long as it is maintained Correctly. The problem is that most people dont. Same can go for a sump if it isnt maintained as well, but filter socks solve that issue. You can make one easily out of a 20 long for under 60 dollars. Might even be able to use the hosing from the canister, depending on the canister.

Weekly rinsing to rid it of debris, no less the biweekly

Someone was telling me i would have to clean it daily... Seems like a pin in the butt.

No not daily although if its purely used for mechanical filtration then it wouldn't hurt. I would just clean it every week or two with your wc

Back
Top Bottom