Need Urgent Advice Fishes Dying Reason Unknown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darkpunk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to this website and I need urgent advice on my new fish tank:eek::eek::confused:. I recently setup a new fish tank which is (56 litres) about 4 weeks ago kept it to cycle for a month and I had just added 4 Head and light tetras in my new fish tank like about 10 days ago. Current water tests are PH level - 7.6, High Ph – 8.2. Ammonia – 0, Nitrite – 0, Nitrate -0.10 and water temperature is 26 degree C. The fish tank also has 1 amazon sword and a bunch of dwarf baby grass planted in it. I also add exact amounts of Tetra Water conditioner, Api Stress Zyme and Api Leaf zone every time I do a water change. It’s been 10 days since I got four Head and light tetras to occupy in my new tank. Now let me explain it in detail below.

Day 1 which was the 18th of this Sept 2014 –
I went into the pet store got 4 Head and tail light tetras and 2 Sword tails (Male and Female).
Reached home put the fish bags into my fish tank water so that the temperatures in the bag may adjust with the temperature of my fish tank. Kept the fish floating in the bag for about 45 minutes and released all four Head and tail light tetras into my tank they all were perfectly fine and were doing great. Next was the turn of the sword tail fish. (I had noticed a light blue water texture in the bag which the sword tails were kept. I noticed it when I reached home but I am clueless to what it is if anybody could be able to help me with this please comment). As soon as I put the sword tail fish FEMALE into my fish tank it went into a severe shock like it was paralysed for a brief 1-3 seconds and died within a couple of minutes. The Male Sword tail fish however when I placed him into the fish tank also went into a severe shock for 1-3 seconds and then just flew into the whole tank like a rocket and died in 5 minutes. Please can somebody advise me of what went wrong. Or did the Aquatic fish shop from where I got them they sold me infected/Sick Sword tail fish as the Head and tail light tetras were doing great at that time.

Day 2 – Day 8 25th of Sept 2014 –
3 of the 4 Head and tail light tetras started to bully 1 of their mate and on the 25th morning I found one dead and one was hurt next to his face. I could see the red bruise next to his face. During this past 7 days the head and tail light tetras were very particular about food as the ignored the tropical crisps (Tetra pro crisps these are the once I feed them) which I fed them but they all looked in good shape to me until the 25th when one of them died maybe because of a fight during the night. I had tested the water on this same day and the tests were good except ammonia was 0.40ppm so I decided to do a water change in the evening and went off to work. By the time I came back the 3 of 3 Head and tail light tetras which were left the one who had the red bruise on his face his face was all swollen up like all beat up and he was dying soon. I could do anything and I think it was too late to add medication and he died within an hour. I than did a 30% water change syphoned the gravel too and added pre conditioned tap water also added stress zyme and api leaf zone and added it to fill the 30% off water which I took out. The 2 head and tail light tetrad which were left were fine and happen even after the water change.

Day 9 – 26th of Sept 2014 –
I added 4 Glowlight tetra into the fish tank everyone seemed to be happy until Day 10 I noticed a white speck on 1 of the 2 Head and tail light tetra 1 day passes both of the head and tail light tetra seemed to be fine but the eating habits did not change from Day 1 as they were eating just a bite of the tropical crisps and spitting it out. Day 11 28th of Sept 2014 the 1 of the 2 Head light tetra died this morning reason Unknown I than immediately took him out. I bought about 6 new Glowlight tetras today and 1 Corycatfish today so that the existing fishes who are in the fish tank could get some company. Same day evening time the last remaining Head and tail light tetra is staying at the top of the tank like he is grasping for air. The 10 Glowfish tetras are staying at the bottom of the tank. 8 out of 10 Glowlight Tetras are staying in a group but swimming low at the bottom of the tank keeping the 2 Glowlight tetras separate. Looks like the 8 out of 10 Glowlight tetras are bullying the other 2.Late evening 1 out of the 10 Glowlight tetra is dead the one which is dead is the one which was separate from the group of 8 still have one more Glowlight tetra separate from the group of 8. Conditions on the Hail light tetra got more worse as he is still at the top of the tank doing the same thing looks like grasping for air. No sign of any infection on the last Head and tail light tetra after 2 more hours he dies :’(  REASON UNKNOWN. I did a water test just now readings are the same as morning PH level - 7.6, High Ph – 8.2. Ammonia – 0, Nitrite – 0, Nitrate -0.10 and water temperature is 25 degree C. I also have a air stone in my tank and I’m using a Aqaeon quietflow 10 filter also have a submersible heater in the tank water quality looks to be fine but I don’t understand these sudden changes. Can someone please give me some urgent advise as I cannot see more fishes dying. Currently the Glowlight tetras seem to be swimming at the bottom about 2-2.5 inches from the gravel, Corycatfish seems to be doing good. I fed these fish once today at 10 am and a pich at about 9 pm. I was planning to buy King British Revitaliser Tonic I don’t know if it is of any good but has pretty good comments on amazon.co.uk. Please need urgent advice guy. Thank you for your time reading my post.:(:(:(

UPDATE: Added new Filter cartridge Old cartridge still in the filter placed new cartridge in-front of old filter so the the new cartridge might catch the good bacteria from the old filter cartridge. Added the cartridge on Day 10 27th of Sept 2014

Sorry you have been having all these problems.

How did you acclimatise the swordtails? It sounds as though the water in their bag might have been very different to the water in your tank and the possibly they were added too quickly? Did you get any of the bag water in the tank? That is not a good idea.

I don't know what the problem might be with the other fish.

Consider not getting any more fish for the time being, until you have found a way to get the fish you have comfortable.

Also, I think you might need to reduce the number of things you are putting in the water, just at first. The more you do, the more variables there are to eliminate when trying to figure out what is wrong.

Go to doing the bare minimum, just a dechlorinator. Check all the basics, eg make sure to match the water temperature when doing changes, make sure all the equipment you use is aquarium safe. Rinse your hands well, don't spray anything near the tank etc.

Don't buy any more products unless you are fairly sure what problem you need to treat. I know it's tempting because you just want to do something to fix what is wrong, but the more you do, the more difficult it becomes to figure out cause and effect.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom