need worm id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matt1245

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
on the last thread i posted a peice of live rock and a few minutes after i put in the rock i saw what im guessing to be a bristle worm it is small, furry like hair and has a red body ill try to see if a can get a pic

thanks im pretty sure its a bristle worm some people dont like these though so should i get him out

I agree. Just wear gloves when you handle the rockwork.

I asked the same question a few months ago! I got a lot of get rid of it; and a lot of keep it. I decided to keep it; nothing bad has come of it, and it is quite good looking and interesting to see it. I think that mine is about 30cm (12')

well mines very small im just glad i didnt get stung picking out the rock because the tank i got it from theres bound to be many more in it

it might have died though cause its about 3 days old new tank and i just added the rock to help cycle

just a few more questions

will it harm fish, any type of coral?

i only have one 2lb live rock covered in coraline will it eat that if there is no other algae since its a 3 day old tank?

Mine has survived the cycling process. My tank is now 12 months old, as it was cycling I notices that the worm was moving through the substrate. After a while I noticed he would come out from under a rock and clean the substrate.

Good Luck with it all!

30 cm long? That's 12" (inches), not 12' (feet)! Either way, I think I'd yank them when they got that long... 12" or 12' ! :)

As far as my experience goes, they won't harm coral or fish, or coralline algae. They're a great cleanup crew. I often spot mine crawling through my zoanthids or around the base of my acans, cleaning things up. Have never had them do anything harmful.

Back
Top Bottom