Need YOUR opinion on SmartLamps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yanek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been using 4 96W CFs over my 75G for several years now and they've been working very well for every kind of coral I've tried so far (leathers, SPS, LPS, anemone, etc). I'm thinking of SLIGHTLY changing how I do things. Specifically, right now I'm using 2 10k coralife bulbs and 2 7100k customsealife actinic bulbs.

I'm thinking of buying four of these (fairly new?) Smart Lamps that Custom Sea Life makes... claims to be 1/2 white 10k and 1/2 blue 7100k. Four of those I think would lend itself to more even color distribution. What do you think? Specifically:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=23483;category_id=1845

Thoughts?

-Yanek.

They are called 50/50s and most people tend to stay away from them. It is basically just what you have but each side of the PC is split into either the 10000 or atnic. Personally I don't find it to be a great benefit because I like to run the atnics before the 10000s in the morning and before I shut all the lights off that way it isn't a sudden total darkness. My only other concern would be if it is just a single bulb with two dif lense covers. Mainly the people that buy these only have a single bulb fixture and don't have a choice if they want both sides of the spectrum.

Well the trouble I'm trying to solve is that my tank ends up with some more "reddish" spots and some more "bluish" spots with all 4 PCs on. I was going for more even color distribution. I do dawn and dusk with a pair of lights (1 10k, 1 actinic) and then bump it up to two pairs for full daylight...

I do see what your saying but personally I run the atnics a bit more at night instead that way it kinda simulates the fading sun (not really but I tell myself that)... sometimes I do either or in the morning... today I did just the 10000s in the morning since everyone was already up by 9am... the fish that is.... when I come home from class I will turn the atnics on as well for the rest of the day.

Back
Top Bottom