Neon Tetra Broken Tail Area. HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

not_a_fish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 38L warm water tank. There are 6 neon tetras and 2 fancy male guppies. I was adding water into the tank with a bucket (I normally use a siphon with a hand pump so I can use it in reverse). One tetra went into the stream of the water and it broke its spine/tail.

Is there a way to heal him, any product to use. I don’t have a quarantine tank. Or should I euthanise the fish humanely. I read that using clove oil is humane.

Attachments

• 590C06EC-B4F3-46FA-94B5-92792B506BCB.jpg
    590C06EC-B4F3-46FA-94B5-92792B506BCB.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 70
This is my thought...If it's just the fin rays that are broken and the fish is eating, it can probably make a recovery, though the rays may not heal straight. It's hard to see from the picture...side note: the water looks cloudy, make sure to use tap water conditioner, and if the tank is still cycling, do frequent water changes and use something to neutralize ammonia/nitrite until the bacteria builds up. You can use a clear plastic bin as quarantine, add a heater, and an air stone or filter at minimum. If you plan to get more fish, you will need to quarantine them before adding them to your main tank, so a quarantine tank is helpful to have around.

If it's the spine and it can't swim/eat, or having a lot of trouble it may not be able to recover. There is a sticky for euthanasia. Just use your best judgement, and a siphon next time.

Back
Top Bottom