Neon tetra help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mkeuper6361

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello! I am not an expert just to let you know!!! ok, I am looking in on getting 7-10 neon tetras in a 12 gal tank. 1- good size tank for that many fish? 2-What is the general hardness range for these fish??? the second one is really important to me btw! my gh is like 180 :( and i'm positive that isn't safe for them. so what is? Thanks!

I've got a dozen neons in a 20 gallon tank with a pH of 7.6, gH of 360 ppm and a kH of 120 ppm. That''s basically my tap water parameters and all seem just fine. As I said earlier, neons locally raised and bought acclimate to the local water supply, so they should do just fine. Keep in mind though that many neons are somewhat less hardy than they used to be due to overbreeding. So I'd expect to possibly lose a couple just from the stress of being moved.

7 to 10 should be fine in your size tank. Just be sure to have adequate filter action. Neon tetras thrive in a gh of 110ppm. But, as the previous poster stated, they will adjust to the local water supply.

I've got a dozen neons in a 20 gallon tank with a pH of 7.6, gH of 360 ppm and a kH of 120 ppm. That''s basically my tap water parameters and all seem just fine. As I said earlier, neons locally raised and bought acclimate to the local water supply, so they should do just fine. Keep in mind though that many neons are somewhat less hardy than they used to be due to overbreeding. So I'd expect to possibly lose a couple just from the stress of being moved.
Thanks so much!

You're welcome. The previous poster was also on the mark about filtration. I run both an AC30 and an AC20 on my twenty gallon tank so I keep plenty of filtration. It also gives me a nice back up on my bacteria when the times comes to replace filter media or I need a seeded sponge got another tank.

I am not sure why people are suggesting that neons that require a larger tank would be fine in a 12g.

Tetras as not suited for small tanks. they need room to swim and you would be overstocked.

I didn't get fifty! only nine. Haha. thanks for the info though! btw, can I have your tank?!?!?! sooooooo pretty

Back
Top Bottom