Neon Tetra lost an eye..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gundy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I was doing some tank maintenance today and I noticed in my wifes tank a neon tetra that lost an eye.. completely.. It's just a red gash now.

The 10 gallon tank houses 5 guppies (4 males, 1 female) and 4 neon tetras. There aren't any other aggressive fish or anything. Water conditions are in check, Ammonia 0 - Nitrite 0 - Nitrate 10.

I am not sure if he got stuck in the filter intake and it sucked his eye out or what, maybe the male guppies got to him? I thought they were peaceful.

Anyways, any input is appreciated - hes looking pretty grim right now. Should I move him to a Tupperware container to heal up for a few weeks? Will it grow back? What should we take to help this poor guy out..?

My mom's goldfish is missing an eye... she won him at a carnival.
I don't know if it was gone when we got him, but one day I was like "Mom, your fish's eye is missing..." and she wasn't surprised because she noticed before.
It won't grow back. But he should be OK, provided that he doesn't get an infection.
I'll probably look for meds to prevent it (infection)-kinda like doctors give patients antibiotics to prevent infection and such...

Hope that helps..? :/

Luck!

Keep the water clean, do an extra change or two. Keep an eye on him for infection or fungus. He should heal up and do okay with just one eye.

Ok, what could've caused this? Could the guppies be picking on them?

I had a glowlight tetra lose an eye a couple of months ago and she is doing fine. I didn't add any meds to the tank (not saying you shouldn't cause you probably should if you want the fish to live) and she turned out fine. The only thing is that when she sleeps she almost rolls over. It is kind of funny to watch even though it is sad at the same time. Sorry but I had to laugh when you asked if it will grow back. It won't, as you were already informed, I just thought it would be weird if it did.

Back
Top Bottom