Neon Tetra - Raised White "Patch"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 7 Neon Tetras in my 10G Quarantine Tank. They have been in quarantine for a month. I started with 8, but sadly euthanised one for what I thought was Neon Tetra Disease.

1 Neon has a white, raised, "patch", on it's left side. It's smooth, not fuzzy, doesn't seem to be external, and has only slightly discolored his color there, almost like a lack of pigment. Some days he schools with the rest, some days he doesn't (seems to be getting better there). He is eating, though doesn't seem so excited about food as the others. Rest of him looks fine. Been like this for 2 weeks, a possible sign of slight improvement, maybe.

Ammonia & Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = <5. Daily water changes. Temp raised to 78 degrees F. Tank has fake plants, PVC pipe, and floating Amazon Frog Bit. No other fish in tank.

He's the one with the small white smooth "patch", seems a little overall lighter in color than his other neon friends. Fish nearest the top of each picture. Flakes are on bottom, I just fed.

img_2847091_0_426572f925ab5ca66218579ccb29d201.jpg

img_2847091_1_4972dca9e132fd9738319f9897ee9cf4.jpg

Welcome to the wonderful world of neons! I've had this in my tank for months, killed 2, now 3 are fighting it off, I've just upped my wc sched to 40% every 4/5 days. Seems to be working...

Would you recommend on holding off putting them in my display tank (50% WC every 7 days, planted)? Can this be spread?

Would you recommend on holding off putting them in my display tank (50% WC every 7 days, planted)? Can this be spread?

That's a big YES. Need to know what is ailing the fish and if it can be cured. I just looked up neon tetra disease - what patches, losing color, not shoaling. There is no viable cure either. Can you take them back and start with a new supplier?

Although it's called "Neon tetra disease," it can infect other species just like people who aren't Lou Gehrig can contract Lou Gehrig's disease ;P

Keep them separate, NTD has a high mortality rate.

I don't think it's Neon Tetra Disease because this neon has shown the white smooth patch symptom for at least 2 weeks now. I think it's bacterial. I'll continue to do daily water changes, and try some general medication. Will keep all posted.

I don't think it's Neon Tetra Disease because this neon has shown the white smooth patch symptom for at least 2 weeks now. I think it's bacterial. I'll continue to do daily water changes, and try some general medication. Will keep all posted.

From what I've been reading, neon tetra disease can take a long time to kill this fish. The body of the fish changes over time - the white patches, losing color, then finally a bent skeleton.

I would return them all to the seller and go buy more from another store. It's an easy variety to find and apparently, Petco is having a sale (I hope it's not from Petco).

Maybe it isn't NTD.

I lost 8 neon tetras with similar symptoms over the past two months. I treated them with erythromycin and minocycline without avail.

Looking forward to hearing your tale of success I am.

I've ordered from Seachem Paraguard, comes in on Wednesday, I'm hoping it will help.

Back
Top Bottom