Neon Tetra vanished

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rmuk12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I have just set up a new biorb life 60 tank a few weeks back

and added two mollys
three silver tip tetras
three x-ray tetras
amd three blue neon tetras

however this morning one of the neon tetras has totally vanished i have checked under plants e.t.c without success

could a molly have eatin it??

Thanks very much

funny thing was it was there a few hours before i noticed it vanished then it was gone, both the mollys are male and one of them seems to be after the tetras chasing them all over

I suppose it's a possibility, I've just kept a lot of mollies in my life and have never seen one kill another fish.you may never know what happened, I had a zebra danio vanish once too.

I would add lots of plants, either real or fake, so the mollies can't always see the other fish. Out of sight, out of mind! There will be lots less chasing that way.

im just worried with the tank being about a week and a half old now if i do not find it and get it out will this cause issues with ammonia levels?

Neon tetras are dum and get trapped really easily, then die of stress, then the molly will have taken a bite.
This is a probability , i used to lose neons to the back of my stingray filter.

thanks ive looked everywhere but will probably find it in the filter at some point, there has been a few stuck down the media when I first set it up which i had to free is it best to keep checking ammonia levels?

Just do a water change to make sure.
I always dread checking media when one goes missing , a nice slushy pile of blue and red :/

Viperchaos said:
Neon tetras are dum and get trapped really easily, then die of stress, then the molly will have taken a bite.
This is a probability , i used to lose neons to the back of my stingray filter.

My neons can swim through all sorts of mazes, I have tiny gaps that only they can squeeze through. They never get stuck, and can you really call a fish dumb?

I mean they obviously lack the brain size for complex intelligence but they can accomplish great tasks like building bubble nests without any sort of help or being shown how...

And I haven't lost any neons to my stingray filter, if a fish gets sucked into or trapped in a filter it usually is a weak fish or the equipment was placed in a way for the fish to easily harm themselves.

Just my 2 cents on that...

Is this tank cycled? If so, how did you cycle it..... I see you said it's only been up a week and a half.

If any fish dies, the other fish will consume it to keep their environment clean of harmful bacteria.

Thats a bit of an alterception? Why does one Family care or not harm its young e.g cichlids. while in most cases livebearers have no parental skills at all, eating their own young/ their own kind.

How counter productive is that?
I breed multiple genus of the Characin family.
And can say that Paracheirodon Innesi arent the brightest of that family

I think neons being dumb, in some cases, can go back to the inbreeding issue. The stock isn't the best health wise, so maybe it isn't the best intelligence wise either.

I've never kept neons, so it's just a guess really. But I'm kind of relating it to dogs. We used to have a couple of Dalmatians, and around here they are seriously inbred. Those were two of the stupidest dogs I've ever had the misfortune of owning. But I loved them anyway!

Viperchaos said:
Thats a bit of an alterception? Why does one Family care or not harm its young e.g cichlids. while in most cases livebearers have no parental skills at all, eating their own young/ their own kind.

How counter productive is that?
I breed multiple genus of the Characin family.
And can say that Paracheirodon Innesi arent the brightest of that family

Alterception? Is that even a word?

And the filial cannibalism is exacerbated in the aquarium as studies have shown that it isn't as common in the wild.

when I got the tank it i put in the tapsafe and the biostart that came with it, as recommended by biorb and the local fish shop said leave it running three days which i did, boefre adding fish?

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and what test kit are you using?

You've been given bad advice, which is not surprising, as most of us have gone down that same primrose path. Most of those so-called "starters" couldn't start a tricycle, much less a fish tank.

Yes, unfortunately the neon may have died from water conditions (they're very sensitive fish to start with) and then been eaten.

hi

i do not have a kit as of yet although i have actually ordered a api master test kit, i did have the water tested two days ago and they said everything was normal but they did not give me the readings, all the other fish seem fine but the mollys seem to be both male and oneof the seems to be hassling the neons all of the time

how much water should i change or would it be best to get it tested at the store again until my kit arrives?

Back
Top Bottom