neon tetras a good choice??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrahamavelar

Aquarium Advice Addict
hello as i decided to buy some neon tetras i decided to read info on the compatibility of them with my current fish this is what i have on my 75 gal tank:

1 rainbow shark maybe 3 inches give or take
1 pictus catfish same 3 in or maybe a lil bigger he moves 2 fast for me to try to measure
and last
1 huge pleco 7 to 8 in

i have been reading about that pictus will eat the neons and well i dont want to chance it so im not getting them so my question is what other colorful school fish can i add instead cardinals perhaphs or will it be the same thing??????

oh yeah and im planning on adding some baby angels they are 1 inch till they grow where im planning on putting them on my dads angel tank at his office, and also some dwarf gouramis and or maybe 3 gold gouramis and some mollies or guppies

Cardinals are the same as a neon just more sensitive and have more red, they are the same size however so i would guess they would be as tasty as a neon

thx well that being the case what other school fish can i add that will look nice n wont destroy plants, i decided to pass on the angels because i say at mt lfs a special of tiger barbs for 1.40 each and they have some nice ones about nickle size

Have you considered Rainbowfish? They get much larger than tetras (3-4in) and you can find some really great colors out there.

Your shark would probably eat your tetras too. I mean think about it, in real life they feed mostly on smaller fish, it's in their instincts. You might be able to get away with it if you had it heavily planted with lots of hiding spots and have a really big school, like at least 10. But if you are questioning it already I wouldn't risk it. Most small tetras aren't really a good choice for that type of thing. If you want a "school" fish you basically want something that is around the same size as the predators when full grown so it isn't going to see it as food. However if you have a bunch of "big" fish in there then that limits the total amount of fish you can have because of the bio load being bigger. Research and try and find something compatible with your size tank. Which being a bigger tank shouldn't be that hard.

Cardinals are the same as a neon just more sensitive and have more red, they are the same size however so i would guess they would be as tasty as a neon
Cardinals and neons are not the same thing. They are different species. Cardinals get to be about 2 inches while neons stay down at about an inch.
That being said, I think cardinals might still et eaten. Pictus cats are quite predatory, so I wouldn't risk any species under like 3 or 4 inches personally. I agree with the idea of rainbows, some of them get bigger.
Guppies would get eaten too. Mollies get to be like 4 inches, so that might be ok. Maybe.

ok so i decided to skip thise fish and i went with the tiger barbs and i added a few plants today, the barbs im waiting until tomorrow because tomorrow they are gonna have sale of barbs 1.49 a piece and i was looking for some gouramies but i couldnt find any midium i only found adult ones, and the rainbow fish idk if where i saw them were really expensive or thats the normal price 18.55 a piece

Back
Top Bottom