Neon tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tinafina

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 4 neons and 1 is bigger than the rest/norm. He seems to be more of the loner. I got him first and then 3 later. Is this normal behavior, maybe because not similar in size?

Hello there,

First, wrong forum. Sure a mod will eventually move it.

But, to your question! :)

If there is nothing that is giving them a reason to school together, they usually won't school. I have never heard of neons not schooling together based on size. I have seen regular neons and jumbo neons school together.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Hello there,

First, wrong forum. Sure a mod will eventually move it.

But, to your question! :)

If there is nothing that is giving them a reason to school together, they usually won't school. I have never heard of neons not schooling together based on size. I have seen regular neons and jumbo neons school together.

That's makes sense. Thanks. Go bruins!

I have 4 neons and 1 is bigger than the rest/norm. He seems to be more of the loner. I got him first and then 3 later. Is this normal behavior, maybe because not similar in size?

How big is your tank? I would suggest getting at least 4 more if you have the room. I started with 4 and they were super shy and didn't come out at all. My school did much better when I added more. I have 8 now and they wander around the tank sometimes, but they mostly school. I love watching them casually swim around the bottom of my tank in a line. They are great little fish, and they feel a lot safer with numbers.

Back
Top Bottom