Nerite Snails, Otocinclus Catfish, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
In order to better keep the algae in check in my tank, I'm going to need your opinion on which algae team would keep my tank as tidy as possible.

Option 1: Nerite Snails and Amano Shrimp

Option 2: Oto Cats and Amano Shrimp

Option 3: Oto Cats, Amano Shrimp, and Nerite Snails

Current Stock:

7 Threadfin Rainbowfish (going to be 12 before long)

1 Female Ram

2 Assassin Snails

5 Cory Cats (don't know if I'm going to keep these fish)

4 Bentos Tetras

2 Panda Garra

My tank is a 30 gallon that is pretty well planted. I don't know if any of these inverts/fish would have a hunger for BBA, but I'd be beneficial if they did. Mainly, I just want a duo that will get the glass and plants clean. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can do the old syringe and excel trick to kill bba. Worked a treat for me
I seemed to of nuked it all in 2 attempts.
Which means can put whatever fish you like!

Can do the old syringe and excel trick to kill bba. Worked a treat for me
I seemed to of nuked it all in 2 attempts.
Which means can put whatever fish you like!

I'll probably do that method to kill the BBA. I've always sort of wanted Oto Cats, so I'll get those, and when they're done getting algae if the glass, I'll supplement them with vegetables. Now it is between Amano Shrimp and Nerita Snails for the final slot.

Or just keep lighting , ferts and Maintenance in balance and not have an Algae problem. [emoji106]

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll limit the photoperiod down an hour or a half of one to see if that helps. I might up the Excel dosing too.

If you don't want rock hard white specks (eggs) all over your tank, don't get nerite snails.

If you don't want rock hard white specks (eggs) all over your tank, don't get nerite snails.

They're not THAT bad. And they are work horses. And I haven't had one die yet. I have 20-ish, 10, and 2 in my tanks. I'm down to 7:10 ottos in four days and out of every new batch of amonos I lose 2-3.

Sent from my iPhone

Oh I agree, they're great algae eaters and beautiful snails. I have 4 in my 10g that I've had for 3+ years, but they really ruin the look of driftwood by putting their little sesame seed eggs all over it.

What about a duo of Amano Shrimp and Nerite Snails? I've read that Oto Catfish are hard to acclimate and die easily, and they can starve easily. Would my Panda Garra eat the Nerite Snails' eggs?

It's true about the eggs. I guess it's personal preference. The eggs don't bother me much, I have to admit my drift wood is covered, though.

Sent from my iPhone

Oh, and would my Assassin Snails kill the Nerite Snails?

Nope. I've kept assassins with my nerites and they never harm them.
I think the nerites can clamp down on a surface so tightly that almost nothing can get to their soft body.

Option 3. I have all 3 and the more life the better IMO.

Oto's won't clear your glass of algae. As coursair suggested get the problem under control and then get a razor and scrape it off during your next water change.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

American Flag Fish eat BBA. Some people report them being aggressive and tearing up plants, others have said they have not been a problem.

Oto's won't clear your glass of algae. As coursair suggested get the problem under control and then get a razor and scrape it off during your next water change.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, I'm not going to get the Otos; although, I'm still going to get Nerites and Amano Shrimp since I think they're neat. I've been trying to find the balance for a while. I have green spot algae and BBA. I dose 3 mL per bottle of PPS-Pro and 12 mL of Flourish Excel daily. My lighting is T5 HO, so I'm in the medium light range I think. I run the lights for 7 hours (it was 8 hours before). I plan on adding another inch of substrate (a little under 2" or at 2"), so maybe that'll help the plants a bit.

Back
Top Bottom