Netrite Snail Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starka

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi All!
A while back I bought a couple of Tiger snails or at least that's what the lfs said. Found out that they were called red spotted netrite snails. Well one of them has the normal spotted pattern on most of his shell. But then on one side he has this huge black spot with no pattern. Is this normal or something else?

Ok next question, when doing a pwc I noticed that one of the snails are attached to the underside of the canopy of the tank(5 gal) out of the water. I figure if he got himself up there he could get back down. Right? There is no way for him to actually leave the tank.

Alright one more question :p
I know that the eggs only hatch in brackish water. But if you see them attached to a rock in fw could you take them out and place them in a brackish tank would they hatch?

Thank you all!

First question: Does it look like a bruise?

Second question: When snails lay their eggs, they do it outside of water so this could potentially be it. He can get down no worries!

Third question: It would be very difficult to move these eggs without crushing them or having the sack break.

I hope this helps!

xtra51 said:

Second question: When snails lay their eggs, they do it outside of water so this could potentially be it. He can get down no worries!

Third question: It would be very difficult to move these eggs without crushing them or having the sack break.

I hope this helps!

If it is a bruse he has had for about three weeks since I bought him. It looks like the same black that his spots are. I'll take a pic once I get home.

Everything sounds good! Thanks :)

Finally got a pic of him when he isn't behind something. Lol
What do you think?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120309_211502.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120309_211502.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 206
  • ForumRunner_20120309_211606.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120309_211606.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 112
Is that the shell or the foot? I've never seen a black spot on a snail's foot before

xtra51 said:
Is that the shell or the foot? I've never seen a black spot on a snail's foot before

That's the shell, he was on the breeding net I have in the tank. I've never seen a snail have a bruise on the shell before. It's toward the middle of the shell and looks like it over laps a couple of rows of his dots. Other than that huge black spot he seems normal, he is just a bit bigger then my other snail.
Maybe he just has a color problem?
I just want to make sure he is alright, that I'm not missing something.
Thanks so much! :)

Well not to scare you or anything, When my snail was dying he had a black spot on his shell (inner abdomen) and he died.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on him just to make sure. He has been like this for a few weeks now. Well, since I got him anyways.
Do these guys float when the die?
How old do they live anyways?
Thanks a bunch!

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on him just to make sure. He has been like this for a few weeks now. Well, since I got him anyways.
Do these guys float when the die?
How old do they live anyways?
Thanks a bunch!

They do not float when they die. They will just lay on the bottom and not move. My snail went inside his shell and didn't come back out. They have a life expectancy of about 1-2 years with some living for 4. Hope this helps!

xtra51 said:

I hope this helps!

Nerite snails do not lay their eggs in sacks, and they don't lay them above the water line. Nerites will lay eggs in freshwater, but they do not hatch. They require brackish water for successful breeding. You can just scrape the eggs off the glass since they aren't viable anyway.

For some reason, the pics are not showing up for me. However, I am guessing that the black spot is simply part of the snail's coloration. There is quite a bit of variation on the patterns on the shells.

Lastly, it's worth mentioning that Nerites are excellent at escaping, and they can live outside of water closed up in their shells for a while. If you find yours outside of the tank, just toss it back in and keep an eye on it. I have found that Nerites that have been out of water too long and have dried up, will indeed float. ;)

He made it back down, they can't leave they tank besides going toward the light, under the canopy. All openings are closed up, when I got them I read that they are escape artists.
Thanks everyone for your help! :)

Alright got another question ;)
I have been putting a half of an algae wafer for them,and their eating it but is there anything else I could give them?

Back
Top Bottom