netting silver dollars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philc21

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey ok im probly gunna sound pretty dumb but no matter what i try i cant get it i have 2 silver dollars theyr both about 1 1/2 inches in a 120g tank and i want to get them out to put in another tank is this even possible every time i try to net it they just take off way to fast for me to catch them is there n e technique u guys would suggest maybe im not the only one with this problem lol

I was trying to catch some convict cichlids and I called my LFS and he suggested dumping in some ice. And then he started laughing hysterically! :twisted: Honestly, I finally removed all the plants and ornaments and drained half of the water out and amazingly they were easier to catch...also I put on a short sleeved shirt (cold but worth it)! Good luck! :D

There have been several threads recently about netting fish, and I think what most people do is to use a green net (something about the color, maybe, but mine are all green anyway, except for my brine net) and just hang the net in there for a while until the fish stop worrying about it. You could try to put some bloodworms or something delicious in the net, too. With that size tank, get a really big net and use your hand, or another net, to chase them into the large net. It really takes patience, no question. You can also drain the tank somewhat to reduce the space they have to swim and get away.

those sound like some good ideas i tried using a bigger net but the bigger net was too slow to push through the water so i went back to my wire ill try scaring them into the bigger net that sounds good thanks for ur responses

I just netted about 10 1-inch fry the other day, and they were a tough bunch to catch. Finally I sprinkled a bit of food at the top and they all came to the surface, so I was able to get a bunch with one quick swipe. The others I just sat and waited for. Patience :wink:

Try Using 2 Nets (big ones work best). This is what we use at my work (fish physiology research lab) to catch fish in our tanks. Basically just scare them into one of the nets using the other. :)

Back
Top Bottom