neverending ph question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyrules

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tap water ph seem to be high. I used my digital ph tester yesterday to see what it was. It normally tend to be around 7.8 which i find rather high for an freshwater aquarium. Should i gradually lower it to around 7.0, 7.2 with anything you can reocmmend or is the "stability of the ph is more important than the level" still in effect. If i should lower it what do you guys recommend. Ph down or anything else ?

thanks

All 3 of my freshwater tanks run ~8-8.2. That's with a variety of fish. Everything from loaches to cherry barbs and angels to german blue rams.

Did you test it right out of the faucet or did you let it sit for 24 hours then test it?

Stable is better. Don't mess with it unless you're trying to breed fish or something. My ph is about 8.5 and the fish and plants really don't seem to care.

My aquarium has very high pH. I have never altered it and have kept a variety of fish over time. The pH (tested directly out of the tank, usually prior to a water change) is in the 7.6 range. Tap water is higher. My aquarium is planted, and I've kept a huge variety of fish over the time: barbs, danios, tetras, a betta, about 5 different types of loaches, celebese rainbows, platys, pictus catfish, cory catfish, white clouds, etc. From what I know, as long as the pH is stable, the fish usually adapt. I've never really read anywhere that advised altering pH unless you want to breed difficult fish or have a very finicky type of fish. Most fish that are tank bred are a little more adapted to tap water and can adapt. I currently have yoyo loaches which are wild caught, they're over a year old (in my aquarium) and are doing fine. Even the plants thrive. I wouldn't' worry about it unless you start to see a problem in your tank. Stable and slightly high is better than erratic and adding chemicals. Good luck!

A strong ditto on stable is better. The forums are full of people who have bred soft, acidic loving fish in higher pH, hard water. And just as many stories of someone trying to adjust their pH ....... and causing one or more problems. :roll:

And as black hills tj suggested, try letting a sample of tap water sit for 24 hours and test. Water that is very high or low in CO2 out of the tap will read a higher or lower PH till the level of CO2 stabilises with the air.

My tap water reads over 9 right out of the tap. No CO2. After a few hours, it is 7. BTW, no need to sweat water changes. PH swings due to CO2 is not harmful to your fish.

The best bet is to keep the ph as stable as possible and your fish will be happy. I've bred the same pair of angels from 8.0 down to 6.5 pH and they really don't care as long as the water is stable. pH changes mess with them far more than whatever the pH might happen to be.

Back
Top Bottom