New 10 Gallon Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got this from a friend who didn't have time to keep it up. Comes with about 7 lbs of LR, a blue-legged hermit and common urchin. It has a 96 watt Coralife PC fixture on it, Aquaclear 110 that was modded into a refugium and a surface skimmer. Enough for most any coral I could fantasize about. :wink: Also 2 new powerheads, a new sw master test kit, and some other goodies!

I'll post progress pics as it comes along. It's going though a mini-cycle at the moment from the move.

Attachments

• img_0868__small__105.jpg
    img_0868__small__105.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 57
  • img_0869__small__174.jpg
    img_0869__small__174.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 52
  • img_0870__small__212.jpg
    img_0870__small__212.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 59
Nice set up. Have you had salt water before?
I'm thanking of building one and have some question for you if you have?

Wow, that's almost my exact same setup. I've got a 10G with a 96W fixture. I've ordered an AC110 and two Maxijet 600s and everything should be in tomorrow. And I'm going to make the AC110 into a refugium. I've got about 15 pounds of live rock and about 10 pounds of live sand in the tank with some chaeto on the side growing really well. I'm currently keeping a couple of ricordeas and trying to revive some zoanthids and palythoas. It's got a gold striped maroon clown, two cleaner shrimp, lots of snails and hermit crabs.

Maybe we should do more talking. What are your plans for the tank at the moment? With both PHs and the AC110, is the water current pretty turbulent? What size PHs? Can you take some pics of the refugium setup?

I'll post a picture of my tank if you don't mind.

Weasel F. I will PM you. :)

WarEagle, give me a day or so to get some pics of the refugium, but sure I'll take some. I'm also working on another AC 110 fuge for my 29 gallon (I didn't build the current one, but am going to follow the same directions). I plan on posting progress of that, soon as I can get time to start it.

As for plans for the tank, I really don't know yet. :) It's got great lighting, so I'd like to try my hand at some of the more light intensive species. I need some more liverock as well. I only have one Aquaclear 10 powerhead on it now(not shown in the picture), and not sure if I will add the other. The water flow is great though.

Oh, post away at your tank. I'd love to see it.

Cool, thanks for the reply. On my tank I'm thinking of just making it a zoanthid nano reef with some ricordeas here and there. I like the hardiness of the zoas as well as the diversity of color and shapes/sizes. And I also like the rics for the same, but I like zoas more! :D But in order to do that, I've gotta get rid of some of my hermits and convert over to a mostly snail cleaning crew. I'm also starting up Seachem's Reef Builder and working on fine tuning my RO/DI filter for the purest water possible.

We'll just have to see how that whole thing works out. I hear you on the good current, I'm hoping to have unbelieveable current! Supposedly zoas do the best under turbulent indirect flow. One guy I read about had explosive growth in his SPS high light/flow tanks with 115X+ turnover. I couldn't believe it, but I guess it's true. Have you tried the other PH in there? And when you start that DIY thread for the fuge, you should post a link to it on this thread. I'm interested to see how you put it together.

Here's the pic, hope you like! It will probably change very soon, though. The sand might even be coming out. It just gathers "crap" anyways.

img_613896_0_4cde29ddd7592dc853b2b7f330a48812.jpg

Cool, WarEagle. Thanks for the comments. Just curious, why do you want to get rid of your hermits?

I have not tried the tank with the other powerhead yet, but I plan on it as soon as the cycle is done.

I plan on getting pics of the fuge tonight. :)

btw, nice tank! I like it. I'm not a huge fan for barebottom tanks. With lots of flow and a good clean up crew, you shouldn't have that much stuff accumulating on your sand.

Yep, I guess you're right. I like the look of sand and if there was no sand, where would my bristleworm BRISTLES hide? :D

And the hermits just make me angry pushing stuff around, knocking stuff in the sand, and crawling all over my polyps. :twisted:

Today I got in my shipment and wow is it looking nice in my tank now. AC110 and 2 Maxijet 600s in the two back corners. I redid the aquascape/rockwork and tried to place all of the corals properly in there. Here's a pic of it. Now to just let it sit and let those zoas open up.

img_614869_0_c958b4677e11a52bdc2e67d7f1165c10.jpg

Here are refugium pics I promised almost a month ago... :roll: Sorry for the delayWarEagle.

Attachments

• img_0917__small__351.jpg
    img_0917__small__351.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 27
  • img_0919__small__156.jpg
    img_0919__small__156.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 26
  • img_0920__small__116.jpg
    img_0920__small__116.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom