New 10 gallon tank, new to the hobby... goldfish involved

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darkhymn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, in August my girlfriend came home with a common goldfish from the fair. We rushed out to the store and bought a small tank for it, honestly expecting it to die shortly and to replace it with a betta.
Somehow, despite my ineptitude and lack of research (I was overfeeding it, giving weekly full water changes and biweekly filter changes), that fish is still alive and quite vital four months later. So, as an additional short-term measure we went out and purchased a 10 gallon tank and a whisper 20i filter for him, set it up... and (thanks, wal mart!) moved him in the following day. So now we're fish-in cycling, with him and a bristlenose pleco, which is going fairly well.
Now, this tank will not be the final home for either of these fish. I now know better and am looking at a 40 gallon tank for them when they outgrow the 10g. My current plan with this tank is (once it's done cycling) 30-40% water changes every friday. I'm looking for advice regarding additional tankmates for the pair. The goldfish is near exactly two inches long, and the pleco is just under an inch. I understand that both of these fish are fairly tough on the bioload of the tank, but I was hoping that I could fit a school of (five or six) white cloud mountain minnows as well as - less importantly - three Amano shrimp to clean up the bottom of the tank (apparently they're social). I've read that white clouds are compatible with goldfish while they're small, but my concerns are that a) the shrimp will be eaten and b) the tank will simply not remain stable under this load.
Thoughts?

I wouldn't add anything to that tank. And Amanos need clean water and prefer planted tanks.

Just don't overfeed. Gravel Vac when you do water changes. TEST water a lot ! Massive filtration. 4x tank volume at least. Canisters are best. So for 10g get 40-50g of filtration.

Check CL for used tanks. You can use big Rubbermaid tubs or Stock Tanks also.

And unfortunately Commons and Comets do best in ponds. They get 12"+

If you can, skip the 40g and look at 75-100g. Knowing those are still temporary.

GF grow FAST. If they can't, they die young.
Comets can live over 25yrs.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418657587.078782.jpg

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm aware of the issue with goldfish at this juncture. At the very end, when he has outgrown the 40, my local aquarium store has offered to re-home him for me if I can't find a pond for him on my own. For now, we're looking at a Fluval C3 50g HOB, mostly because that setup is comfortable to me, and because it's cheap for what it offers.
The local store has also given me a well established piece of bio filter to assist in the cycle. For now, no fewer than daily tests and water changes as needed. I'm just about to start the transition from ammonia to nitrite on my own. With the established bacteria colony, I'm hoping the cycle will be fairly quick and as trauma free as possible for the fish. I wish I had known better beforehand.
I've heard that the comet goldfish can take up to three years to fully mature in a tank setting. I intend to increase my capacity for him when he reaches four inches. Around eight to ten, I will probably try to re-home him to a pond. The local store owners, enthusiasts themselves, seem to think that I'm making good decisions given my rough start. Am I off base?

Sounds like you are doing your research and looking ahead. Being responsible [emoji106]

If you can pick up a used canister filter, keep it in mind as an addition.

Sounds like you are doing your research and looking ahead. Being responsible [emoji106]

If you can pick up a used canister filter, keep it in mind as an addition.

Thank you. I've been trying to put together a responsible plan for these fish going forward. I feel terrible about what our little comet must have gone through in his first tank, and I'm no less disappointed in my ill-advised placement of these fish into an uncycled aquarium. Hopefully the steps I took today will make their lives a bit more comfortable. I also acquired a small piece of mopani for my bristle-nose. :)
The canister thing looks promising. Seemingly significantly higher filtration/hour. As I look toward expanding into larger tanks, I may very well keep these in mind. Today, budget is a barrier, as even used a canister with similar capacity to that HOB entails no less than double the investment.
Any advice regarding feeding and frequency with these guys? I've been feeding twice daily, a small pinch of basic tetra goldfish flakes and a quarter of an algae round. I'm feeling that the flakes, at least, are too much - my water changes are lifting quite a few.

You can also offer frozen/thawed/skinned green Peas, Zucchini and Romaine. You can buy a veggie clip or DIY something so the fish can get ahold of greens and veggies.

Change to pellets as soon as you can there will be less waste he only needs 3-4 pellets each feed. They also keep the water cleaner than flakes. Don't forget to feed him veg once a week deshelled frozen or fresh peas are good par boil till soft

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry coursair didn't see your post didn't mean to repeat

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom