new 10 gallon w/ fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dogpython

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
got a ten gallon and added some start right and stress zyme to it the other day and today i added a few fish, they seem to be doing ok, but what do i need to do to keep them ok while the tank cycles, ie how often should i change the water, the fish are platies. the guy at the store said that they should be ok and that the bacteria stuff would cycle the tank! thaks for the help! i have some ammonia eliminator stuff to, but when should i add that?

Do you have a test kit? You change your water based on what your test results are. Don't use the ammonia lock stuff, its better to cycle the tank and have your ammonia removed naturally.

i need to test for ammonia and nitrite and nitrate? are the test strips ok to do this with? like 5in1 and the ammonia jungle labs strips? thanks

Yeah the tests are alot better that use liquid. Alot more accurate. I myself use the AP liquid kits. They run about ten bucks each but they are worth it. They also last a long time too.

Hi dogpython,
I agree with the others...a liquid reagent test kit is much more accurate than the all-in-one strip kits. You'll need this accuracy as you cycle the tank. As rich311k says, let the test results guide your water changes. You may find it necessary to do a change every day if the ammonia and nitrite are high. Here are some articles that explain the cycling process:

http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

Basically, you'll see an ammonia spike (high levels of ammonia), and then the ammonia levels will drop to 0. Then the nitrite spike will begin - the nitrites will rise also and fall to 0. Then you'll see nitrates. When your parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and about 20 ppm nitrates, your cycle is complete. It's important to do water changes during these "spike" periods to keep the fish healthy.

Don't add anything to your water except a dechlorinator. The additives that claim to "start" your cycle may often interfere with it. Don't use the ammonia eliminator either. As you read the articles, you'll understand that the ammonia eliminator product will bind to the ammonia and make it unavailable to the good bacteria that "eat" the ammonia. You want to grow these good bacteria in your tank during the cycling process. Also, in order to help the good bacteria along, don't clean out your filter during this cycling period. After the tank is cycled, you can gently rinse your filter media occasionally in water that you've removed from the tank during a water change. Don't rinse in tap water; the chlorine kills all the good bacteria.

is there a time at which the ammonia will peak, and do the fish show any outwards signs that the ammonia is to high? how often should i check? thanks for the help!!

It's hard to give an estimate of when the ammonia will peak. The chart from The Krib website says that on day 12 or so, it will peak. That may be a good approximation but it's hard to say for sure. Everyone's tank is different, including such factors as how many fish you have, the size of the tank, and your filtration. The best thing to do is test every day. The fish may show signs of ammonia poisoning such as gasping at the surface, red gills, or lethargy. Don't wait to see these signs; keep up with your testing and change the water (25-50%, based on how high the ammonia reading is) every day if necessary to keep the conditions bearable for the fish.

You can see high levels of ammonia in just a few days, depending on the stocking level. You won't know unless you test, and the liquid reagent tests are the best way to do it. I would think that if you added more than two platy in a ten gallon tank you are likely to get high ammonia and nitrite. Even at two fish, you could still see high levels. When cycling with fish, the key is to add very few fish and go slow. Once you have high ammonia or nitrite, your only options are to do lots of water changes.

how much of the water should i change, i will change it until i can get a test kit tomorrow?

Did you get a test kit yet? It's hard to say how much water to change without one, but I'll say to change 3 gallons every day until you get your kit and know your ammonia levels for sure.

how necessary is a test, i have had these fish for about three days and they seem ok so far; tested for nitrite and nitrate and got zero yesterday, dont have an ammonia test yet, is it necessary? thanks for the help

Very necessary, IMO. Ammonia would be what to watch out for in the first two weeks, possibly more. Nitrite probably would not be an issue till weeks 2 thorough 4.

what species is the fish?
if you got zebra dannios then keep it under 1ppm..
if for some reason you got something like neon tetras.. .25ppm is the maximum I would keep it at..

the guorami is spitting water at the top of the tank, is this normal? thanks for all of the help!!

i knew he could breathe air, but i didnt know that he spit while doing it, thanks for the info though, the new ammonia reading was .5. thanks again for all of the help!!!

Back
Top Bottom