New 100 Gallon Set Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmerklin77

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I previously had a 20 gallon tank. I finally decided to upgrade so I got a 100 gallon tank. I bought a new filter rated for 125 gallon tank (canister filter), a new LED light, and new gravel. I set it all up and made sure to wash the filter medium and new gravel. I then filled the tank with new water and declorinated it using a tap water conditioner as i was adding the buckets. I then took my old 20 gallon and pulled out about 15 gallons out of that tank and moved it to the new one as well as the 8 fish that I had in there. I had 3 tetras, a barb, 2 plecos a cory catfish and a upside down catfish. Took me about 8 hours to set up. Now its the next day and when i woke up in the morning my barb and 3 tetras were all dead. My bottom feeders all seem fine. The tank is also really cloudy. Im guessing a bacterial bloom. I also did out my old filters medium from the 20 gallon tank into the new one as to help the tank cycle quicker. As I said, the tank is really cloudy. Its at a out 75 degrees atm and im thinking about picking up a few cheap fish to help the tank cycle. Any ideas on why the 3 fish died? I just did a test on pH, Nitrite and Nitrate and all are 0ppm. I think there may have been a fluctuation in temperature between my big tank and small tank, but of that I am not sure. I also have only one air pump with two hoses. Should I increase to a few more to help with aeration? Any tips on such a big tank? Any ideas on the cloudiness or fish death? Any help and tips are appreciated. Thanks!

I wouldn't add any more fish just yet. You need to figure out what happened first. You said your ph was 0, I've never seen water with a ph of 0, I would retest the ph, make sure you use a liquid test kit like the API master kit. The test strips they sell aren't very accurate. I wouldn't think you have a bacterial bloom, if you just added the stuff from your old tank, assuming it was healthy. If the temperature of the 2 tanks were too far apart when you moved the fish that may have caused them to die. It's always best to cycle a new tank before adding fish to it. Ya, I know it's hard to sit and wait a month for a tank to cycle, but it's better than trying to chase down problems that occur when we try to rush things. Good luck, hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom