New 120 build...gonna be a long ride...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its a 4 foot tank. I figure its a good tank to start with and for the money i cant beat it. Whats a maxi mini?

Mr X has directed me toward some nice lighting set ups. But i have time to save up for everything im going to need....hopefully...

Wow that is really pretty! Its sad to think it will probably be like 2-3 months before i even have water in the tank...lol

Don't fret about how long it will take you. I'm building my 55 on about $50 a month, and it's slow and frustrating at times, but I've also found each purchase means more and I value it more than if I just plunked down a couple of grand and gotten the dream tank all at once. It also gives you more time to learn, and change plans without wasting money! :)

Oh i definately agree with you, i spend most of my day sneaking in a few pages of learning on different pieces of hardware or learning about a new coral. Im hopefully gonna limit myself to one major purchase every two weeks or so.

Just to throw in a comment to some people in this thread talking about the ecoxotic panorama light, I ordered one a few days ago and should be getting it soon and im sure I'll be posting a thread on it

Awesome, I will definately be subscribing to view the progress on that. I am really interested to see which lights work.

Still kinda partial to the first fixture Mr. X showed me due to the price and the color he got out of his corals.

I just got one module for now to see how it works and I'm hoping the color will come out good, I got wh,bl,wh,bl..., I'm a big fan of nice blue color and I bought it for $105 with tax at my lfs and I was prepared to pay $190 so I'm pretty happy with the price...as long as they work well lol

Ok, so I am going to the LFS today to confirm and hopfully order my tank. I was thinking about the plumbing and all that jazz. What kind of return pump is everyone thinking, i was reading about the Mag 24...is this overkill? The return line will be going from the sump to the tank...i know you have to account for the tub diameter and the length of tube going back to the tank, don't have those numbers yet but I just wanted to start doing some research now at what pumps people like.

I was told to go bigger cause you can always dial back the flow and the bigger pumps are usually less noisy...is this true? Also does the flow rate of the pump have any bearing on what powerheads are bought due to flow needed?

I bought a 1532gph return pump and only have a 1200gph overflow so mine is throttled back with a ball valve. I am thinking on getting samller pump so it can go full force. I think the mag 24 would be overkill, both in price and flow. The mag 12 might be ok....what kidn of flow can your overflow handle would be the first question...adn how much your sump can take as well...

How do I figure out how much the overflow and sump can handle? Is there spec's on different overflows and what each sump can handle per gallon?

Yep each overflwo is rated for a certain gph. I had an eshopps 1000gph and upgraded to the CPR 1200gph one. Do you know what kind of overflow it is? Maybe we can research it and find out. is it a single 1 inch or a double? Both of mine were doubel 1 inch pipes int he overflow. And I believe my sump is rated up to like 2300gph or some other crazy number lol

I should know more details today, i apologize that I don't even have the tank yet, but talking about gives me a form of relief from being all antsy about it. I am going today to talk shop with him, i have the tank and stand pretty much figured out and he is gonna tweak the rest based on what i want to do. I will know more today and let you know what he says.

that's not true at all that bigger pumps are less noisy. i would not go with a mag24. it's more than you need. mag 12 is fine. you are not going to use it for flow, you are just going to use it to transfer water.
carey, you already have the pump- it would be a waste to buy another pump so you can run it wide open at this point. why would you want to do that anyway? there is nothing wrong with choking back a pump at the exhaust port.

LOL, I know, I guess I;m just being anal. I feel like I'm wasting flow. Plus it wouldnt be a bad idea to have a backup pump just in case. I already am ordering a backup aqualifter pump for my overflow, another just in case.

Wellll....im picking up the tank on saturday, didnt go brand new...but im still getting the 120, with handmade stand that needs to be skinned to look nice and a 40 gallon breeder for a sump. So the project can begin soon

So since i need to go start researching equipment i would like to throw it out to everyone as to what you would get for gear....pumps, overflow kits, skimmers, ro/di unit, ATO's, lights, controllers...

Let me know what know what you would do cause i tend to get things bigger than whats needed for those "oh crap" thoughts if i need the extra power so to say...

Ok so i need to plan the order of my supply list....here is what i am thinking in order of what i need...

Substrate...no idea what to buy...lighter color would be nice...
Base rock...again which types...where to buy...
RO/DI unit / TDS meter....
Salt Mix...Reef grade salt
Water storage - Garbage cans
Return Pump - Mag 12 or 18?
Live Rock / Rubble rock for refugium....where to buy?
Protein Skimmer....not sure what to get...
Lighting (would like a reef down the road)...some ideas...

Does this seem like the correct order to start getting stuff so i don't go broke....from starting the cycle to adding fish....

Back
Top Bottom