New 125 gallon tank owner, looking for advice on fish compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lynchmob

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone! I just got my first 125 gallon tank and am looking for advice as far as fish compatibility. I know everyone has different opinions and I can and have found a lot of info online but just looking for personal experience/guidelines. My Petsmart actually has a really good selection of fish but I don't want to overdo it or get fish that are going to constantly try to kill eachother. I currently own two small comet goldfish.

Most of the fish I like seem to be the "Semi-Aggressive" type, that many would probably suggest not putting with the goldfish... Some that I like are the small Koi, Rainbow Sharks, Bala Sharks, Angelfish, and then some small ones like rainbow guppies and some tetras. I think the smaller ones will be "too small" to put in with these bigger fish once they are grown but wanted to check. I also wasn't sure if with "communal" fish if I need to get multiples of the same kind of fish and if so how many? Or if they will be happy in a mixed community? I also like some loaches and chichlids that I have seen in the forums but know these require different kinds of care that likely won't work with the rest of the fish I have listed. I know I can find this information online but figured I would see what worked and what didn't with your various personal experiences.

Thanks!

Most 'semi aggressive' fish do not do well with 'community' fish. Things like small tetras and guppies would be eaten. Koi also wouldn't work with anything on that list as they grow very large and are cold water fish.

Rainbow sharks, bala sharks, angelfish, and pictus catfish could probably work.

Yes, plus one on above. Are you stocking around the goldfish or around a tropical tank? Think we need more guidance here to narrow it down.

Sorry for not clarifying sooner! I think I am trying to build around the goldfish. My daughter would kill me if I got rid of them..but I know I can't keep them in the 10 gallon tank. They've never been my favorite kind of fish, but having observed these two over the last month they can be pretty fun.

Unfortunately it seems like most of the fish I like are tropical. People in other forums have suggested doing a "sub tropical tank", and others have said this is a terrible idea.... The tank the goldfish currently live in seems to naturally sit between 70-74 degrees (usually right at 73F) without making any constant adjustments and they seem very happy. This seems to be the lower range for many of the tropical fish I've looked at, but some of those ranges vary too.

So what are some suggestions for putting in the 125 gallon tank with the goldfish?

Head over to the cold water topic, there are lots of goldfish compatibility q&a threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom