New 125g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

n3wt

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking into getting a 125 gallon tank or one around that size. I've had a 55 gallon tank for about a year and a half now and it's been running well and was looking into getting a bigger tank to fit into my living room. I have Under Gravel filtration in my 55g tank and was wondering what would be one of the best filtration systems for a large tank that would be good for a cichlid community tank with some large new worlds in it.

I would suggest dual canisters.

Ya, that's what I was thinking but I'm a bit reluctant on going back to canisters. I've had a few bad ones with my 55 gallon tank.
I had 2 Eheim Eccos and both just died on me for no reason, had both for about a month or so and noticed them just siphoning less and less. I also had a Cascade 1500 that leaked and ruined my wood floors when my power went out one night. So right now I was looking for another good type of large tank filtration system.

Wow... I've had XPs running trouble free for 3 years now and Eheim are very well reviewed. If leary of canisters, definitely look at a sump. I would look for a drilled tank.

That was my other option, The guy I get all my fish from only does UG filtration so I didn't bother asking him. It works great in my 55g tank but I would imagine it would be troublesome in a large tank plus getting giant jets to get the circulation going. Right now I've been looking around Craigslist in my area and their's some great deals. I've seen a few pre-drilled saltwater tanks with stand and hood for around $350-400 but would a pre-drilled salt tank work for a freshwater system?

Yea, it would work fine after a good cleaning. You may also want to check out any local reef / aquarium clubs.

I'd go for an fx5. There are a lot of happy Malwai cichlid keepers who use this filter. I am seriously looking at one for my next tank too.

I'd go for an fx5. There are a lot of happy Malwai cichlid keepers who use this filter. I am seriously looking at one for my next tank too.

me too!

I do agree with Jim that a sump would provide more customizable options like the ability to hide heaters, but for simplicity, i think a canister fits the bill better. I've pondered the thought of putting a 55g tank under my 150g and running some bio-balls (or pot scrubbers) and possibly having some fast growing plants like anacharis to suck up the nitrates (since my fish eat plants) and shoving my heater in there, but once i got thinking about it, my fluval 305 and 405 along with my eheim 2224 seem to be doing a pretty good job and take maybe 5 minutes to clean, which is'nt a big job while doing my water change. It's all about what you wanna do with it. If you want to add more volume to the tank and hide the heater, go for the sump. If you want a simple setup that can easily be moved, taken apart, etc, go for a canister. Thats my opinion anyways ;)

"my fluval 305 and 405 along with my eheim 2224 seem to be doing a pretty good job and take maybe 5 minutes to clean, which is'nt a big job while doing my water change."

OMG... tell me the Secret..

He wipes down the outside with a paper towel. :p

no, i've got it down to an art now. Each week i clean one filter. The fluvals are easier than the eheim, but its basically the same thing. I do this while my tank is draining. I fill a 5g bucket up about 3/4 full with the python hose while its draining, pull the top off one of the canisters, pull the media trays in, rinse the inside of the can, take a brush and run through all the little holes in the top of the can, swish the media baskets around, squeeze the sponges, put everything back in, fill up to about 1" from the top with the python hose once again, put back under tank, finish the pwc, done. Maybe i should have said 5 minutes each, but it only takes me 5 minutes a week :)

Dang that is like speed cleaning! Haha. But I might be leaning more to the fx5 just because it would be easier to maintain. I've got enough on my hands with 2 jobs and school. Would one fx5 be enough for a 125g or a 150g tank depending on how many fish I put in it? Or would I need a larger HoB or something to go along with it?

One fx5 would be enough, though you may need to add a powerhead to push the water around a bit. you may not. if you run a spray bar on it instead of the regular outlet that comes with it, you probably wont need to worry about it

Back
Top Bottom