New 150 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Set up the biowheel on your dt for a few weeks. Soo sorry about your loss.. mask tangs are gorgeous

Jsmith79 said:
What after a few weeks set up qt with bio filter and new water and it's ready no cycle?

Use DT water when you do I PWC... QT doesn't need to cycle. Bio wheel, heater, and a couple of PVC pipes so fish can hide and your set...

Should I leave the carbon filter in the biowheel filter when I put it on the dt, I have not ran any carbon so far will it hurt anything?

Doesn't really matter if you use dt water or new water...the water column doesn't hold much of anything. Plus if your dt is high on grates, wouldn't be good for your qt

So the bio wheel filter came with a bio wheel and another filter that has carbon inside of it. Do they make a filter without the carbon inside I can buy for it, and if they do I wouldn't actually need one until I switch it from the dt to the qt right? For now I could just run the wheel to build up bacteria on it without any other filters inside couldn't I? Sorry I have not had a qt before so I know I have a lot of ?'s, and thanks for the help.

Kio707 said:
Use DT water when you do I PWC... QT doesn't need to cycle. Bio wheel, heater, and a couple of PVC pipes so fish can hide and your set...

I would definitely say a qt needs to cycle! Every new tank will go through some kind of cycle. Adding an already sick fish probably won't improve the situation a lot!

I would definitely say a qt needs to cycle! Every new tank will go through some kind of cycle. Adding an already sick fish probably won't improve the situation a lot!

Why would the QT need to cycle? Not like it has LR or sand in it, plus the water is coming from your DT. AS long as the DT is cycled water, there is no need to cycle a tank with a heater and filter on it. A QT should be bare in case you do need to add medicine for ich or so forth.

As long as your parameters are ok on the dt water, you could use it. The water column really has minimal affect on a cycled tank or not. If youre doing more frequent water changes, it wouldn't matter if its cycled or not. The bio- wheel will house the bacteria needed. To the op, just cut the filter pad and pour the carbon out....BUT make sure that after you qt a fish, if the fish ends up being sick, you'll have to dry out the bio wheel before putting back on your dt...or else you'll transfer the sickness

Jsmith79 said:
So the bio wheel filter came with a bio wheel and another filter that has carbon inside of it. Do they make a filter without the carbon inside I can buy for it, and if they do I wouldn't actually need one until I switch it from the dt to the qt right? For now I could just run the wheel to build up bacteria on it without any other filters inside couldn't I? Sorry I have not had a qt before so I know I have a lot of ?'s, and thanks for the help.

Just take the filter with the carbon in it out altogether and stuff some filter floss in there instead.

I guess it depends where the filter is coming from. I usually have 1 or 2 sponge filters in my dt so they can cycle and grow bacteria there until I might need them.
As sw holds very little bacteria it comes down to what filter you're using.

There won't be a full-blown cycle in a bare tank but if you run off to buy a tank, heater and filter the same day I would let it run for a little before putting a sick fish in it and risking it.

Any ideas on what little white things about the size of a bb kind of oval shaped and flat on tank glass would be they look like little eggs stuck on the glass, doesn't look like they are moving?

Looks like the start of coralline algae to me. I get the same spots and then they turn purple or green. :)

Im getting ready to switch to a reef salt I have been using instant ocean does anyone have any input on instant ocean reef crystals?

I use them and have no problems with it. Keeps my levels pretty good between water changes but right before water change time the alkalinity and calcium start dipping in my tank. Still sorting that all out lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom