New 20 gal reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so I'm still torn. I think I'm gonna go with the jebao wp10. Question is do I use 1 or 2? Don't want dead spots but from the YouTube videos I've seen pump seems strong.

Only 1. It pushes out 1500gph. Plus it's adjustable, so I think it will be enough. If you have any dead spots you could pry just supplement a Koralia nano in there.

UPDATE: I ordered the jebao wp10 and am returning the two korilia 240s and the smart wave controller Saturday when I make a return trip to that fish place!

You may want to hold onto 1 of the korilias incase you have any dead spots or to mix sw before you use it

Can someone tell be what this brown crap is on my front glass? Every three days or so I have to scrub this amount off. Also what is the bright green stuff below my sand bed?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395961734.359787.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395961750.089218.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395961770.375304.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395961778.540578.jpg

What's your phosphate and nitrate levels? Basically algae control comes down to increased nutrient export (water changes or a bigger skimmer) and decreased nutrient import (feeding and maybe lighting)

My tank is 8 years old. I moved it from jersey to southern Delaware 3.5 months ago.

My tank is 8 years old. I moved it from jersey to southern Delaware 3.5 months ago.

Moving the tank disturbs the sand bed. This can be more than the nutrient release we worry about. It moves the sand around and the silicates that weren't consumed are then able to be consumed by the diatoms you are now seeing, if that is what they are of course.

This tank is 8 years old?

Yea this is my 92g corner tank. Not the current 20g that this thread is about. The guy I bought it from bought everything brand new 8 years ago. I went up to jersey and drained all the water into trash cans with the live rock in it. I put the sand in plastic bags and when I got home I put it all back exactly as it was. I did rinse the sand before i put it back in the tank. I only had to add about 10 gallons of new saltwater. That was back at the beginning of January. I had a small diatom outbreak soon after I got the tank. Now the past week and a half it has been appearing on my glass and today I noticed a tad bit on the upper rock in the tank. Just today my mushrooms are all shriveled up but my Duncan, gonipora, colt, and all of my many varieties of zoas look great. Got me confused. I wish I would have just bought everything brand new(like I am with the 20g build I am currently doing) instead of trying to save money and buying a used setup.

Things are probably fine. I would do a water change to see if the mushrooms come back to normal. I keep softies in my tank as indicators of alk being off, though it probably is a nitrate/phosphate thing in your case.

Things are probably fine. I would do a water change to see if the mushrooms come back to normal. I keep softies in my tank as indicators of alk being off, though it probably is a nitrate/phosphate thing in your case.

So far I have been diligent on the weekly water changes. The tank is 92g with 140 pounds of live rock and 13 gallons of actual water in the sump. I change 20 gallons a week. More? Less?

My lights on that setup are two 125w MH's and two t5 460nm bulbs. The t5's come on at 14:00 and turn off at 23:00. The MH's turn on at 15:00 and turn off at 22:00. More? Less?

You mean 150 watt halides? This is not a lot of light. they don't put out a lot of PAR. I would have 250 watters over that size tank if you plan to do sps, or another type of lighting entirely (LED comes to mind). The photo period you have is fine.

So I have painted the back of my 20g black. Has anyone ever painted the sides of a tank also? What were your likes/dislikes?

Back
Top Bottom