New 20 Gallon setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottM23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm trying to startup a 20 gallon freshwater tank to sit on my new desk. I'm not new to the aquarium hobby but I haven't had a fish tank in several years. I've housed a 60 gallon reef tank, 30 gallon cichlid tank, 5 gallon nano, and another 30 gallon reef tank over the years. However, for the past few years I've been more into amphibians and currently have nothing but dart frog terrariums. With this new tank I'm trying to slowly get back into the hobby. I'm gonna start off with some freshwater beginner fish and plants. I've started thinking of stocking ideas. As of now I want 8 Celestial Pearl Danios (Galaxy Rasbora), 6 Forktail Blue Eye Rainbows, a small colony of Cherry Shrimp and eventually an Electric Blue Ram. I've never housed any of these fish and I've never setup a freshwater planted aquarium. I can certainly keep freshwater fish alive and healthy but not so sure about plants. Do you guys have any suggestions for beginners? Also any extra information on these fish? I've researched a bit but I'd still love to learn more. I know the Ram isn't a beginner fish but as I said I consider myself at least a novice. This would also be the last fish added to the tank so I can "get my feet wet" so to say. Thanks guys For the tips and information I greatly appreciate it. Im attaching a picture of one of my darts if you'd like to check him out. [emoji12]IMG_5151.jpg

Cycle your tank and plant it before adding fish. Less chance of losing them. Also wait about 3 months before adding RCS. They feed on biofilm in the tank and you will need it established for them to survive.

Cycle your tank and plant it before adding fish. Less chance of losing them. Also wait about 3 months before adding RCS. They feed on biofilm in the tank and you will need it established for them to survive.

Thanks for the tip on the Shrimp, but as I said before I've kept tanks in the past and I'm familiar with the nitrogen cycle.

Can't go wrong with swords, they need root tabs but are great plants and if your lucky they'll even flower.

Anubis is also a solid choice as well as java moss

Can't go wrong with swords, they need root tabs but are great plants and if your lucky they'll even flower.

Anubis is also a solid choice as well as java moss

Thanks, are all types of these plants for beginners? I failed to mention I setup a planted tank for my sister but it was a tiny little 3 gallon. I put nothing in there except for Anubias Nana, I believe it was called, and a micro sword. The Anubias did great while the Sword just slowly died. I got online to figure out why and I read that Micro Swords are harder to keep. If this is true what types of each plant should I be looking for? I purchased both of these plants from Petsmart because I love that they were in tissue cultures or some form of gel. I've heard all about pest snails catching a ride on newly bought plants. So for my sister I felt this was the best option. I don't usually buy from Petsmart though. I'm most likely setting up a low tech aquarium so any suggestions should certainly keep that in mind.

Yup, and amazons are for beginner but they do need root tabs as they are heavy root feeds and develop massive, and I do mean massive root systems. I've pulled plants out with leaves a foot long and root systems at least twice of that.

I never kept micro before, but amazons I know for sure keep well. eBay is a great place to look for more plants for cheap. In a moment I might have a better list of starter plants, brb

Back
Top Bottom