New 20g Long Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the definition of good flow? I imagine it has less to do with a strong current and more to do with the elimination of dead spots. True/false?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

True.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Upon changing the flow direction almost instantaneously detritus was kicked up&pushed toward the filter intake..I want to say true to it being more important to eliminate those deadspots than maintaining a strong current,as a strong current wouldn't be necessary in a tank this size in helping to eliminate deadspots.

Ordered a gh/kh test kit..Will be the first time I'll be testing these levels..I believe I'm fine but I've been wrong before..

Ordered a gh/kh test kit..Will be the first time I'll be testing these levels..I believe I'm fine but I've been wrong before..

Be sure to test your source water as well. I've done the tests a few times. Values don't change much. IMO kind of a pain of: add a drop, cap, shake, read, repeat until you get to the target color. But it's not something you are testing all the time.

The test kit came in today&was dropped off at the clubhouse so I guess I'll get it tomorrow..
Tonite was clean the canister & forget my top off bucket was filling & flooded my closet...10 towels in the wash!
The canister was super dirty&in bad need of a cleaning..literally could not see below the water line in the rinse bucket(tank water of course),last clean was 2 1/2 weeks ago..to say the least it a doing the job asked of it..

Test results revealed:
kh-160
gh-360
According to the chart I'm good to keep marine fish/inverts-rift lake cichlids/brackish water fish..now These are tests on current tank water.
Holding can water test:
kh-140
gh-300
So according to the tests I can't successfully any of the thriving fish or plants that I am currently keeping..what am I missing here?
I use the same source water which I keep in a holding barrel to gas out&is prefiltered again before adding to the tank...These test are confusing!

Test results revealed:
kh-160
gh-360
According to the chart I'm good to keep marine fish/inverts-rift lake cichlids/brackish water fish..now These are tests on current tank water.
Holding can water test:
kh-140
gh-300
So according to the tests I can't successfully any of the thriving fish or plants that I am currently keeping..what am I missing here?
I use the same source water which I keep in a holding barrel to gas out&is prefiltered again before adding to the tank...These test are confusing!
I don't know about the fish. I have rams and neon's in 8.2 PH and have kept other centrals and geophagus in this high ph. as long as they are not wild caught and acclimated well I think you should be fine. How ever I have no idea what my kh is but my GH is some where around 120 to 180. Are you on lake Michigan water?

I don't know about the fish. I have rams and neon's in 8.2 PH and have kept other centrals and geophagus in this high ph. as long as they are not wild caught and acclimated well I think you should be fine. How ever I have no idea what my kh is but my GH is some where around 120 to 180. Are you on lake Michigan water?

Central Indiana limestone's finest water...
BUILDING THE MONSTER!

Pardon my ignorance but how does one increase phosphates? Is it via dosing like Seachem Phosphorus?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not an ignorant question at all..I use dry ferts mixed with distilled water dosed daily...(from GLA-GreenLeafAquariums) l increased the amount phosphate(dry powder)in the fert dosing bottle..

Due for a trim,all in all the tank is doing very well&can't believe that I didn't take it up a notch sooner..the blue eyes are doing great&gaining in size(were very small at time of purchase)..

You've got some crazy intense colors in there! Refresh me on the lighting again?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom