New 25 Gal Tank: Setup and Stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What kind of killies would you be looking at? Most killies are annual fish, just FYI.

Thanks for all your help! Are the rams hard to keep? What are your water parameters? Just wondering so I know what to shoot for :D
I was thinking of getting a pair of rams, would it be possible to get some corys? Or maybe I could get two females?
I really like silver tip tetras, could I do those?
I'll look into those barbs!

Thanks again!!:D

My water out of my tap tests at about 8.2 ph, but with my driftwood and almond leaves it holds steady at about 7.4-7.5 in my tank. My temp is usually about 80-81 degrees (f). I don't think rams are massively difficult to keep as long as you have steady water params (steady ph and temp, zero ammonia and nitrites, low nitrates), compatible tank mates and some decor they can hide/relax in. The most important thing I've found is purchasing the right fish when you see them at your LFS. How long ago did they come in? Are they moving well and showing good color? Which are being aggressive, which are being passive? Were they imported or local bred? I always go with the local bred ones, particularly with sensitive fish like rams.

If I can offer any additional tips it's to hold off on adding the rams until the tank is pretty well established. If possible I'd wait a couple months and I'd probably let them be the last fish added so they don't have to deal with any unnecessary adjustments. They do seem to love almond leaves so I'd probably pick some up to add to your tank. They're pretty cheap and I keep 2 leaves in my 20 gallon propped up against the wall at the bottom of the tank so they're like mini caves. They normally last a couple of weeks and my shrimp and nerite snails like them too. That's about all I can think of right now, and there's a ton of info available regarding proper acclimation and such. Good luck!

Cherry barbs, checker barbs, 5-banded barbs, furcata rainbowfish, neon tetras, cardinal tetras, and rummy nose tetra are some basic recommendations for another school you could do. The normal recommended minimum size for a school of fish is typically 6, but note that it often depends on the fish too. Rummy nose, for example, are best in groups of at least 9-10 IME. Neons, though, I've found are perfectly fine in 5-6. Just food for thought in case any fish that you buy don't act quite the way you hoped.

Cherry barbs, checker barbs, 5-banded barbs, furcata rainbowfish, neon tetras, cardinal tetras, and rummy nose tetra are some basic recommendations for another school you could do. The normal recommended minimum size for a school of fish is typically 6, but note that it often depends on the fish too. Rummy nose, for example, are best in groups of at least 9-10 IME. Neons, though, I've found are perfectly fine in 5-6. Just food for thought in case any fish that you buy don't act quite the way you hoped.
Wow, those checker barbs and rainow fish are very pretty! I think I'll do a school of the rainbow fish. How many do they like in a school? Also, does it matter what type of rainbow fish? I'm not exactly sure what type they store has. I'll check here in a few :)

Thanks!!! Also i will get some almond leaves.

I would say at least 6.

Okay, thats what I thought.
So stocking then

2 German Blue Rams
6 Furcata Rainbow Fish
6 Von Rio Tetras
and then 5 ghost shrimp and my amano

Turns out my ghost shrimp is an Amano... Great deal for 89 cents! :brows::lol:

Does this sound good? Is it fully stocked?

One quick question. My two gal has been getting over run by brownish green algae. What should I do? The light is on of a long time. At least 12 hours :confused:

Stick the amano in there for a few days

He is in there. He's probably gotten 1/5 of it down. He'll clean as much as he can on the substrate, but can't get it off the fake plant and walls.

I only have an under-gravel filter for the tank. It has two lights that keep it at about 78 degrees. The light stays on for around 12 hours.

On the substrate, I have the normal gravel, but on top of that I have some large, flat glow in the dark plastic rocks. I have been thinking of taking those out, because they seem like the prime real estate for algae.

Ech! That's horrible!

You guys can follow my build thread if you want, the tank finally cycled! :)

Back
Top Bottom