New 30 gallon ! Fresh started stock and equipement suggestions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rossco

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys and gals so I just picked up a 30 gallon off kajiji. Just the tank I think I'm gonna make it into a cichlid tank! I need everything lighting filter? Heater. And stock ... Help a fellow fish lover out with suggestions!

Filtration - If your willing to put out a little extra dough, i would defiantly recommend a canister filter.

I have a 29g tank with a Fluval 306 on it right now. It creates a pretty good current and does wonders are keeping my tank clean. It has 3 levels of media baskets in it so you have plenty of options on what you want to put in it. I have 2 whole levels filled with Biomax, keeps parameters in check.

Petco has the Fluvals on sale right now

Other people might recommend Eheim filters. Never used one personally but everyone says they are great too

Lighting- well that all depends on whether or not you decide to put live plants in there.

Heating- not a big deal really, just find a decent heater that's rated for 30g. A 100watt one should be fine

I'm prob not gonna do planted right now but want to in the future. I have a fulval 100 wat heater and a aqua clear 70 hob that I'm gonna use. Now I just need lighting tips!!!! I don't wanna spend more then 120 bucks

Come on Rossco! What fun is it to have everyone tell you want to buy! Go to your local pet store, or petsmart, or even websites like Dr Foster and Smith, Pet Solution, and aqua guys! Look up stuff and find what you like. I am a fluval guy, they are super reliable, and the customer service is great.

Options for cichlids in a 30 gallon are...rams, apistos, flags, rainbow, acara, and keyhole. Those are all semi-aggressive/peacefull. You could do some small Africans like shell dwellers or Kirbs. You might be able to do 3 or 4 peacocks, and a Pleco...

You can usually find a half decent hood system at your LFS for about $30-$60. You could always just upgrade the florescent bulb later for plants.

More advance lighting systems can cost anywhere from $80-$300

Lol true enough ! Just wanted some suggestions. But in the end I did end up getting aqua clear 70 I have aquar clears on my other tanks nd love them! Thanks guys!

You could get a cheap shop light, instead of over priced aquarium lights. Just paint it and try to make it look better.

Back
Top Bottom