New 30 gallon Reef in the making thread....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
when your tank is cycled add a peppermint shrimp or two. i had a fair amount of aptasia and i added a couple peppermints. i have not seen an apatasia for over a year. even in the sump

steve r

Tank looks good Mike. Are you going to try and buildup those rocks? Caves are good for the fish and inverts usually like to hang out in them too.

I second the peppermint shrimp idea. They may or may not get them under control, but the general consensus is that they kick aiptasia butt. Unfortanetly, do to Katrina, they are hard to come by now and much more expensive, but they are cool, so well worth the investment IMO.

Yes, I was going to get a peppermint when the cycle is done.

I am also going to build the rocks up. I am going to get my last piece of LR today and then I will get some pics when I am done.

EDIT: Added my first piece of livestolk. 1 peppermint shrimp.

Check out the new rockscape. I am very happy with it. I purchased a real nice of Tonga Branch and a nice big piece of tabletop LR. I have never seen this kind of rock before. I absolutely love it because it is flat and easy to make a few caves. Everybody should have 1 or 2 pieces of this. I now have about 5 different kinds of rock. I read that some don't like to mix rock but I love it and think it adds more diversity. I have mostly florida rock, =1 big piece of Fiji, 1 Tonga Branch, 1 tabletop, and 1 piece of LFS premium that is different from Fiji.

Attachments

• new_rockscape_858.jpg
    new_rockscape_858.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 324
  • new_front_blue_751.jpg
    new_front_blue_751.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 330
  • new_rock_blue_125.jpg
    new_rock_blue_125.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 333
  • front_caves_920.jpg
    front_caves_920.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 19
  • front_table_861.jpg
    front_table_861.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 20
  • front_1_978.jpg
    front_1_978.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 18
Thanks Lindsay. I am much happier with the way it looks now. The pics really do not serve justice to what it looks like in my living room. I am also very happty that the cycle is done. I got the peppermint shrimp earlier and he is doing good. Hopefully the Aiptasia will be gone!

I just got back from getting 2 Turbo snails, 2 Pink Margareta snails, and 2 bumble bee snails. That will be it for at least 1 more week when I hope to add my clowns. We will see how the inverts do.

BTW, I didn't know Turbos got this big!!!! I will post a pic soon. The two I got are big. I hope that is ok?

Hah. Yeah, they get big but your other snails will be fine. You may also want to get 1 or 2 more peppermint shrimp. They like buddies, and will do a better job at getting rid of that aipstasia.

I had that same mantis in my tank when I was living in Washington. I took the rock out and boiled it and then had to chisel the rock to get him out. I wasn't going to chance it either. Carbonated water works great at getting stuff to come out of the rocks.

Yeah it was a long struggle. I never did get him out of the rock though. I just put it back. I figured since it was cycling it would decompose. Even though it put me through a lot of stress I felt bad that I had to kill it. I am such a sucker for animals that live in the water and it was not the shrimps fault that it ended up in my tank.

Lindsay that is a good idea to get a few more. The thing is that since my tank is so new I want to go slow so things don't starve. I don't even have fish to feed yet so I am worried about what the shrimp will eat. What does it eat? Also, I really wanted a cherry fire shrimp. Will it be ok with a peppermint?

Does anybody have a good recomendation for a cleaning crew as in numbers. So far I have 1 pep shrimp, 2 Turbos, 2 Margarita's, and 2 bumble bees. It is 30 gal. I think I will stay away from hermits. How many more snails should I add? How about stars? I was going to put 1 serpant star.

Here is 1 of the new Turbos and a new Margarita.

Attachments

• bb_264.jpg
    bb_264.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 31
  • margarita_161.jpg
    margarita_161.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 18
  • turbo_101.jpg
    turbo_101.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 17
Looks awesome Mike! I should post a pic of mine, but have to clean the glass, I might do that tonight. I like to have a cave or two, and actually, I might add some more LR next weekend.
Watch that bumble bee snail, they like to eat your other snails. I made the mistake of buying 12 of them, without asking first. They seem to mainly munch algae, but I think, if they run across a smaller snail, they munch it. I love how they look.
Also, I really wanted a cherry fire shrimp. Will it be ok with a peppermint?
I believe thoe two will be okay together. The fire shrimp will sometimes act as a cleanershrimp.
Hmmm, for a 30G, clean up crew, you are correct in going slow, especially for newer tanks. You need to give it time to mature. I would say add about 20 snails. I like nassarius and cerith snails.
All in all, your tank looks great and props for you in your patience!

Just wondering. I have not seen my peppermint shrimp since about 6pm yesterday. Is it normal for them to hide this long?

Some shrimp will hide for a few days. He may have molted, that makes them very shy, somtimes.

How often do shrimp molt? The other snails seem to be doing well. The Turbos are so big that I was worried they would knock over the rock pile. Last night both of them climbed to the very top and nothing moved so I feel better.

But do you all think that maybe 2 Turbos is to many? Just thinking that because they are so big I wouldn't want one not to get enough food. How many do other people keep?

As far as fish I am hoping to add my first next weekend. I want 2 O Clowns, 1 six line wrasse, and eventually Sailfin Blenny. Does this sound ok for a 30? How about the wrasse in a new tank? I also am going to add the rest of my cleanup crew slowly.

Then I plan to wait a few weeks and maybe add my first soft coral IF everything goes ok....We will see.

Shrimp tend to molt about every 3-4 weeks when first introduced into a tank. Of course that could vary, depending on water levels, and calcium in the tank. After that, they generally molt maybe once a month. But again, this varies on the tank and probably some other things. This has been my experience, and I have read some others, had the same thing happen.

My shrimp came out about 20 minutes after I put the acintics on so I know he is fine. What happens when they molt as far as the old shell?

What about the fish list? Will my plan be ok? I don't even know what to feed them when I get them? I really want the wrasse and the O Clowns. What else does the Wrasse eat besides the natural food in my tank?

What about the turbos? 2 will get enough food?

And as far as other snails, I want to have snails that eat different algae. So far I have 2 Turbo's, 2 Margarita's, 2 bumble bee's, and 1 hitchiker limphet. I also have 2 small hitchiker snails that I am yet to identify. What other kinds should I get as well as stars? From what I have been told, I may stay away from hermits even though I love the way they look.

This has been so interesting so far, I absolutely love it. I really appreciate all your help and I am glad people are following the thread.

What happens when they molt as far as the old shell?
It will become food for your critters. Just leave the molt in there, unless you want to keep it....
I don't even know what to feed them when I get them?
They are scavangers, they will eat anything that sinks to the bottom.
What else does the Wrasse eat besides the natural food in my tank?
They can eaat forzen or flake foods as well.
What about the turbos? 2 will get enough food?
They should be ok.
I have nassis and cerith snails, and bumble bees, that sometimes eat the other snails.

Thanks for the answers as always. So 2 O Clowns, 1 Six Line, cleaners, and eventually a Sailfin Blenny is not to many fish for a 30 gal?

How many weeks do you all think is best before I can add my first hardy coral. I would like to add some Zoos, Mushrooms, or a ricordia? Any others good for beginners?

RO/DI Sump

1. I am considering investing in two more items this weekend. Does anybody a recommend a good RO/DI unit that I will not have to plumb? Does it connect to the sink? I live in a studio so I only have a kitchen and bathroom sink.

2. Also for a sump. Being my first saltwater tank, I do not feel to confident building one. Is there anywhere I can order a pre-made one that is good? My tank is not drilled either. Any opinions?

Anything else I need or that is a good idea that anybody recommends? I am going to by QT equip. as well. I also want to buy a soft coral soon. Should I be getting a calcium and phosphate test for all my future corals?
Somebody told me that I should be looking into a calcium reactor? I don't even know what that does?

Any foods I can order that are good to keep on hand?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom